leonee

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hey not sure which cpu I should get. the i5 is 2.3ghz and the i7 is 2.0 the price diff is only $40, but with the i7 the total price goes over the price i feel comfortable buying at. The video card is a hg 6770 1gb and I am wondering if going with the i7 would get me a decent improvement in gamming vs the i5, or would it be the video card that will bottleneck before the cpu.
thanks

Solution
It really depends on what game you are trying to play. I'm assuming the i7 is the base quad core model(2630qm)and the i5 is the base model(2410m)?

Certain games benefit from 4 cores, others do not. Bad Company 2, BF3, and SCII are some that need/perform much better with a quad core. For only $40, I would suggest going with the i7 if it's the quad core model. It will just help the laptop be more future proof in general. But please not that this will result in a little less battery life, but nothing drastic.

What laptop are you looking at?

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
It really depends on what game you are trying to play. I'm assuming the i7 is the base quad core model(2630qm)and the i5 is the base model(2410m)?

Certain games benefit from 4 cores, others do not. Bad Company 2, BF3, and SCII are some that need/perform much better with a quad core. For only $40, I would suggest going with the i7 if it's the quad core model. It will just help the laptop be more future proof in general. But please not that this will result in a little less battery life, but nothing drastic.

What laptop are you looking at?

Solution