I5 or I7 is thet worse in 14 " segment

halpburt

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hello,
i was wondering is differenc in speed between I5 and I7 huge in peformanc eor not , i.e for programming not for gamming ?
is that logic to use I7 on 14" instead of I5? yes will be more heat and short life , but the performance will jump extraordinary in this segment ,
thanx in advance

halpburt

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
thnx for feedback,
I fully agree with all of you, i bleieve no much difference unless multi-thread.
however my other concern , if the visibilty to push I7 on 14" segmen, i thnk it is overloading the laptop. and contradict with the purpose of 14" or less for portability and walk around. what you think

Depends on the laptop. The manufacturer can compensate with better cooling solutions (more copper) and larger capacity batteries. But again, you get the downside of added weight and increased dimensions. The manu has to figure out what sectors they are trying to target.

halpburt

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
i agree wuth Maziar, as the all 14" review for performance was buitl on I5 even with some hear concern on I5, as i believe correct me if i wrong.
the best rates i saw was Envy14, Think T410 and Vostro .however to best suit I7 may be from 15" or higher whihc mena almost station desktop.
the best i saw till now is the Sony Z, whihc combine all the pros.
howver i admit with "lostandwandering "that may be in future more porper solution

I think that HP tried to do too many things with the Envy 14. They tried to make a thin and light laptop, that had beauty and power to match. And you know deep down that they wanted this thing to compete with the Macbook Pros, you can tell by the styling. Personally, I think if they gave up on the thin and light concept and focuses on the looks and performance, they would have been able to get a better cooling solution onto the CPU.

More and more people seem to be interested in laptops that are between 13 and 15''. I have a feeling that we will soon see more 14'' laptops that truly cater to "power" users

christiangordon

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
I do programming with a core 2 duo and my co-workers use core duo up to i7s

there is almost no difference between them. I prefer the i3s on the laptop since you get the best battery life. I suggest upgrading the RAM

halpburt

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
thnx for reply,
perfect ,so even using i3 and/or i5 will be more than enough for programming, i.e something like Matlab and V.C++ . so i agree with u to power the RAM and fast hard drive
however is the GPU will have effect ?

halpburt

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
So we can summerise the marvelpous brain storm ,

for programming (i,e C++ Matlab ) CPU + RAM no inout from GPU

also, there no much difference between i3 or even I7 for this purpose (even we have feedback the core

2Duo is enough)

fr 14"segment , the presence of i7 , inspite it add more powerful , it will be loading the system form the point of heat and battery time, evenit will depend on manfacture , but thi is a general conculsion .

what you think All, kindly feel free to add coment s
it one of best brin storm

halpburt

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
i agree with you,

i survey for the proper laptop that match with our discussion and nominate those:-

Dell Vostro 3300 with i5 and dis.graphic, Dell latitude E6410

HP dm4 and HP Elite 8440

Thinkbad T410 i5 + Dis. graphic

Apple Mac Pro 15"

and Sony Z- series and or S series

what you think regarding our discussion for programming applications

halpburt

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
sure Maziar,
i really think dm4 and Elite 8840 p is the more decent one specially Elite as it has strong construction
and will be suitable for the programming purpose

what you think

i really think to purchase it with dis, graohic card N Gforce 310M
then seocnd choice Dm4 with dis graphic
then Vostro 3300 +i5+dis card
the lenovo is really higher price as the Mac one

It depends on you.
Like i said in my last post,HP Elite has the best build quality between them,where as MBP 15 will give you the most battery life.
However if you are going to only work with Windows and leave OS X aside,then go with the HP elite,its not worth it to purchase a Mac and only work in windows with it(because the battery life in windows is significantly lower than OS X)

I'd actually just like to point out that the Vostro 3300 has good build quality. They replaced a lot of the plastics with aluminum. A step in the right direction.