i7-4500u + hd 8850m vs i7 4702mq+gt 740m

avisekbiswas

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Hi guys, I need help on getting a new laptop for my cousin. Primary purpose gaming. So I came up with these two laptops. Specs:

1) lenovo ideapad z510
I7 4702mq- 2.2 to 3.2 ghz
Gt 740m 2gb ddr3
8gb ram, 1tb hdd with 8gb ssd, win8.1

2) dell inspirion 15
I7 4500u- 1.8 to 3.0 ghz
Hd 8850m 2gb ddr5
6gb ram, 750gb hdd, win 8

Both laptop has same 1366x768 resolution. And I think though not sure that the 740m on the lenovo is the 64bit edition.
===========================
So my question is which one is better for gaming. I am leaning towards the lenovo cause it has a very powerful quad core processor compared to the mere dual core from Dell. Dual cores are pretty much out of date now a days and I think no games coming in 2014 will be playable on that dual core.

Anyway guys please reply ASAP. I will be buying within a week. Thanks in advance :) :)

Solution
Alright, so here's what you need to know:

Laptop one has better CPU
Laptop two has better GPU

Games are generally more intensive on the GPU. O have a friend who uses am ULV CPU, and not only is it a last gen ivy bridge but it's i5, and it games just fine. The second will act like a quad core as well due to hyperthreading, where you get two virtual cores for every single core- basically, doubled cores, and that's where games generally max out: four cores. The first hyperthreads to eight cores, but they'll only be made use of in a workstation class usage scenario, not gaming. Not to mention the second has DDR5, opposed to DDR3. Keep in mind, though, multithreading isn't as good as having four psychical cores, but it'll do.

LummusMaximus

Honorable
Alright, so here's what you need to know:

Laptop one has better CPU
Laptop two has better GPU

Games are generally more intensive on the GPU. O have a friend who uses am ULV CPU, and not only is it a last gen ivy bridge but it's i5, and it games just fine. The second will act like a quad core as well due to hyperthreading, where you get two virtual cores for every single core- basically, doubled cores, and that's where games generally max out: four cores. The first hyperthreads to eight cores, but they'll only be made use of in a workstation class usage scenario, not gaming. Not to mention the second has DDR5, opposed to DDR3. Keep in mind, though, multithreading isn't as good as having four psychical cores, but it'll do.

Solution