IBM T21 Laptop will not start

Janset

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Hi All.

I have an old IBM T21 laptop that runs Windows XP Pro.This laptop has served me well over a number of years until yesterday.

I fired the T21 up and up came the IBM splash screen during the BIOS loading. Then all of a sudden I heard a long beep followed by 2 short beeps, and there it stayed. The booting would go no further.

I rebooted, same problem.

I turned off the IBM removed the battery and the power cable and let the unit sit a few minutes. I then re-connected what I had removed but when it came to rebooting, the same thing happened.

I spent a few hours trying every thing that I could think of but to no avail.

I then made a Google search on "BIOS beep codes" and listed for IBM systems was :

" Video (mono/CGA Display Circuitry) issue".

Is this problem fixable or does this mean that my laptop has finally given up the ghost? :??:

Regards

ratedk

Distinguished
It may be time to retire this old lady, these older IBM laptops were built like tanks. Heck, that's a PIII that has made it into the generation of 12-core/24 thread processors. They just don't make them like that anymore.

If it has sentimental value, you could try re-flowing the video chip - but results may vary. I've brought quite a few (40 or so) laptops back from video failure death by doing this, some are still working, half of them have returned to be re-reflowed, and half of those died. If you want more details on how to do this with some measure of success, let me know. It'll require full disassembly, a heat gun, and a lot of patience & thermal paste. Keeping track of the many different size screws on the older IBMs is a challenge in itself.

I can't imagine that this could be repairable any cheaper than it can be replaced. Right now, on eBay, there's a working T21 for 50 bucks. Even better, you could upgrade to a T42 for $10 more (AND a T42 with a Pentium M will run windows 7 if you so desired).

Janset

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011

Hi there.

Thanks for your reply. Just as I thought.
I agree, I do not think it worth while to trying to breath life back into the old girl. I have an netbook and an iPad so the exercise would be pointless.....Off to the knackery me thinks :(

Regards

sora

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

This but it would still lag like crazy; I'm surprised you're still using an IBM T21!

Janset

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Hi there.

The old T21, I only used it to run my OziExplorer, a GPS navigation program in my 4WD.

I wonder if all the rough and dusty gravel roads and tracks may have had something to do with it dying ?

Regards