IDE to SATA conversion/adapter/ connector/ ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2018
Thanks guys for any help.

This is in reference to a Dell Vostro 1510 laptop.

So I installed a SSD (128GB) as the primary drive and it now has the operating system and drivers on it and I want to put the HDD that originally came with the laptop in the compartment where the optical drive (dvd/cd player) is usually housed. I can purchase a 2nd storage bay device that will hold the HDD and then slide into place and make the necessary connections but was hoping that there was a simple adapter that I could just snap onto this ribbon cable and then connect to the sata connector on the HDD so.......besides buying a 2nd storage bay device is there anything else that I can do to make it work? I posted some pictures of the dvd/cd player, the ribbon connector and the sata HDD.

The link below shows how the connector looks. I hope to convert this to fit a 2.5" sata HDD.

https://www.ebay.com/p/N629d-Lf-4125p-Genuine-Dell-DVD-Connector-Cable-Vostro-1510-Pp36x/1569546991?iid=272528436939&chn=ps

Thanks for helping me go further than the standard.

Solution
It is probably mini IDE.

But without seeing it its hard to say.

The would use some form of standard connector as they don't make hdd and cd-rom drives

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Not sure if it is possible.

I am assuming you have an IDE cable which connects to a PATA port. Parallel ATA vs Serial ATA (SATA). You need to have some form of active conversion between the two. A simple cable patch will not suffice.

Such devices exist, but would be too large to fit in your laptop shell.

Do a search on PATA to SATA converter.

Does you laptop have two hard disk bays?

Mar 10, 2018

Mar 10, 2018
Yes that is correct..I do have an IDE cable that connects to a PATA port. The cable is very small such as a ribbon cable with the connector on the end that connects to the dvd/cd player's PATA port and then to the motherboard....what I wanted to do is to install a harddrive in the dvd/cd player compartment and I have to use the ribbon cable because the flat end of that ribbon cable slides into a hinge type terminal on the motherboard. So in order for me to move the SATA harddrive to the dvd/cd compartment I would need to convert the ribbon cable end to sata so that it would connect to the SATA HDD and I am now thinking that you are correct that it will not work because of limited space. I have done several searches for adapters/converters and can find some things that would work if there was more space but as you mentioned, they are too bulky to fit into the compartment and no, I only have one HDD compartment so.....this idea may just not make it off the ground lol. Thank you very much for your input, I really do appreciate it very much.
Have a great week.

Status
Not open for further replies.