Status
Not open for further replies.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
wow, MS actually adding in WebGL to IE?? I'm surprised. I remember their program director basically saying they were not adding WebGL since you could use DX extensions (which sucked hard). Basically they didn't want people going open source over DirectX, only problem is they never developed WebDX.

Okay, so MS continues to play this perpetual 'catch-up' game with Chrome/Firefox functionality wise. I honestly would love to get off Chrome, because I always feel like every aspect of my privacy is being poked and prodded by Google.

My main problem with IE is that the number of browser extensions are slim to nil. They don't have a nice add-on store like Chrome has, no equivalent no-script add-on, I would also rather store my bookmarks (2000+) to SkyDrive instead of Google servers. But ultimately, I guess it really doesn't matter now, since both companies participate in PRISM anyways.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
wow, MS actually adding in WebGL to IE?? I'm surprised. I remember their program director basically saying they were not adding WebGL since you could use DX extensions (which sucked hard). Basically they didn't want people going open source over DirectX, only problem is they never developed WebDX.

Okay, so MS continues to play this perpetual 'catch-up' game with Chrome/Firefox functionality wise. I honestly would love to get off Chrome, because I always feel like every aspect of my privacy is being poked and prodded by Google.

My main problem with IE is that the number of browser extensions are slim to nil. They don't have a nice add-on store like Chrome has, no equivalent no-script add-on, I would also rather store my bookmarks (2000+) to SkyDrive instead of Google servers. But ultimately, I guess it really doesn't matter now, since both companies participate in PRISM anyways.

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
If what this website said is true, get Firefox instead of MS or Chrome to avoid PRISM
http://prism-break.org/

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Hiryu, if you think using Firefox is going to protect you from the NSA... lawlz. Although I do think Firefox is a good browser (although it has some hiccups now and then and I hate how they've engaged Google in an idiotic version number war), it won't make much of a difference when they can snoop at other points along the path.

"Websites will also be able to create animated Live Tiles for the browser."

Combined with smaller tile sizes, that's actually pretty nifty! The new option for permanently open tabs and address bar is a welcome addition too, at least on the tablet. On my gaming PC I always use desktop browsers. But the Modern UI variant of IE10 (and soon 11) is great for touch, and with these various improvements it'll be just about perfect.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
Of course MS need to make IE11 available for Win7. Unless MS want IE11 become the smallest market share in the browser war...

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
My main browsing is done on Firefox, but it does suffer from hiccups now and then so I use IE. I could never stand the extremely spartan UI of Chrome and how they buried the options for their browser. Microsoft really needs to get addons and extensions in their browser to really compete with Firefox and Chrome. What I'd really like to see all browsers do though is completely block all tool bars from being installed, these things make doing my job (Tech Support) a pain! Even though you can tell a customer to press F6 they will invariably think you want them to press the F and 6 keys...even if you tell them where it is. Tool bars really should go the way of the Dodo. Improvements to a browser's speed and new tech like WebGL and MPEG Dash are nice but get rid of those damn tool bar extensions!

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
If so, than IE11 will most certainly be the last IE to launch on Windows 7.

XP - IE 6 - 8
Vista - IE 7 - 9
W7 - IE 8 - 11
W8 - IE 10 - 13/4 (probably)

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Not going to happen, Spooderman. Microsoft's stance is that extensions to the browser, unless they are written by they themselves, cause more problems than they are worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.