IE 11, how do I block an entire domain.

jdlech

Commendable
May 31, 2016
My autistic son keeps finding the same malware site using a thousand different addresses. But they all end in .xyz (dot xyz).
I even installed spybot and spyware blaster - to no avail. He still keeps finding them.

Using IEs restricted site list, I can block specific sites within the xyz domain, and even block using wildcards. But he keeps finding new sites. The question is - how do I block the entire .xyz domain in IE 11? Every time I try to use a wildcard to block the entire domain, IE tells me that I'm doing it wrong.
One of the sites is something like this.

HTTP://activefive.xyz/ffs/index.html
(that's right, no www in the address - and it might not be exact since I'm going by memory)

What wildcards can I use to block everything in the .xyz domain?
BTW, don't go to that site. I always have to use task manager to kill IEs process to get out of it.

jdlech

Commendable
May 31, 2016
Why can't I just block a domain in IE?

The only way I know how to modify the hosts file is by a freeware editor. And I really don't want my autistic son finding something like that.

And I can't really use a whitelist because his searches for the videos he likes (mostly childrens programming) is quite far ranging.

Which really bother me - whoever sets up the malware specifically targets people searching for children's programming.

jdlech

Commendable
May 31, 2016
TBH, I've never trusted 3rd party blocking software. I guess it was about 15 years ago now. Someone audited all the 3rd party blockers - only to find most had some political agenda. Some blocked sites discussing abortion, others blocked sites about 'women's studies'. Still others blocked planned parenthood sites and a couple were so blatant, they blocked known DNC web sites.
Well, regardless of your personal politics, you know that's not the reason why most people want "parental control" software, or even 'family friendly' whitelists.

So is there any way of blocking a domain in IE11, or by the MS windows firewall, or at least explain how I edit the hosts file?