IE Flaw Turns Your PC into Public File Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Funny how when it's bad news they don't use the picture of everyone's favorite photoshopped FF/IE babe. =/

In related news, Chrome is gaining market share by the second!

Wait... Why haven't we photoshopped a Chrome logo onto her shirt yet? ^.^

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
So basic knowlege wins don't go surfing random websites and you wont get too many virues leave your security settings on default in vista and windows 7 and you're pretty safe. t-t

buckinbottoms

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
the FTP-style vulnerability affects consumers using Windows XP and those who have disabled Internet Explorer Protected Mode.
In other words, you pretty much have to bend over and beg for it before you are actually vulnerable.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I often get asked to fix problems on friends and family's PC's 9 times out of 10 they are caused directly or indirectly by IE. It has gotten to the point where I have removed IE from the menu and desktop and installed FF then warned them if the use IE and stuff up I will refuse to fix their machines.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
The worst part are the people selling their PC's to get Mac's because the Mac's are obviously so much more protected than a PC. Then they point to articles like this. Poop.

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Per the above comment, I apparently forgot the quotes around the phrase "Mac's are obviously so much more protected than PC's". Sarcasm failure on my part.

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
The last few rounds of virus that I had to clean off where from flash exploits using cross domain scripts. The flash is delivered through valid advertizing companies and end up on sites you would never expect. This is not just an IE problem.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]tomtompiper[/nom]I often get asked to fix problems on friends and family's PC's 9 times out of 10 they are caused directly or indirectly by IE. It has gotten to the point where I have removed IE from the menu and desktop and installed FF then warned them if the use IE and stuff up I will refuse to fix their machines.[/citation]

Personally, i think adobe's worse...

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Its most popular because many businesses and governments use it by default: it comes with the computer and that way they don't have the downtime of finding, installing, and supporting other browsers in their enterprise.

That said, MS should not be proud of that same fact. The reason its most popular is that your customers don't know? I'm certain every systems Admin has recommended switching only for their superiors, ignorant of the real problems and dismissing their employees as "nerds" or such, to shoot down the idea on a cost basis.

Guess they won't be so happy when someone else starts reading their emails and copying IP.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
So it doesn't affect user of Vista and Win7 unless they screw with their security settings in a bad way.

So I just read that long article and the hate at the end of it to find out that it doesn't apply to me at all.

I thought about how the exploit works and realized that this problem has likely actually prevented many stupid users from a sick amount of malware issues because of how it prevents local file rederings of content. You win some and you lose some. People can have all the access they want to my system. Ain't nothing there but some sales presentations.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]buckinbottoms[/nom]In other words, you pretty much have to bend over and beg for it before you are actually vulnerable.[/citation]Yeah seriously, isn't protected mode enabled by default on IE7 and IE8? Plus it says you have to be using WinXP? Doesn't sound very dangerous to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.