If I get an unlocked phone, can I switch it for my old one whenever I want?

Purplecinnamon

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
If I get an unlocked phone, can I switch it for my old one whenever I want?I want to upgrade to the HTC one, but Verizon is like NOOOO!!!! YOU MUST WAIT!!!!!

So if I buy an unlocked phone off of eBay, can I just use it now and be good? And if it is unlocked, does it have to be a Verizon phone?

Solution
There's a thread all about unlocking at the top of the forum that explains the rules carriers have to follow in regards to locks/unlocks.

Did you get the phone subsidized? Ie, did you sign a 2+ year contract and get the phone for really cheap?

If so, then you're stuck for the time being. Carriers maintain final say in situations like this. Because you got the phone subsidized, you either need to pay an early cancellation fee or wait until the contract is expired. Verizon has every right to refuse to activate a new device until the one you got for next to free for signing the contract, has been paid off in full plus interest.

That said though, if you bought an unlocked phone, you could take it to a new carrier altogether. Keep in mind...

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
There's a thread all about unlocking at the top of the forum that explains the rules carriers have to follow in regards to locks/unlocks.

Did you get the phone subsidized? Ie, did you sign a 2+ year contract and get the phone for really cheap?

If so, then you're stuck for the time being. Carriers maintain final say in situations like this. Because you got the phone subsidized, you either need to pay an early cancellation fee or wait until the contract is expired. Verizon has every right to refuse to activate a new device until the one you got for next to free for signing the contract, has been paid off in full plus interest.

That said though, if you bought an unlocked phone, you could take it to a new carrier altogether. Keep in mind though you would still have to either pay the early cancellation fee, or risk ruining your credit if you signed a contract with Verizon.

Solution