If I Put a $10 Drive Caddy & 500GB SSD in the Laptop DVD Slot, What's the Transfer Rate???

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
What I'm afraid of is if I put the SSD in the DVD slot on a caddy, that the connection for that DVD will be too slow, and compromise the addition speed of the SSD.

So before I do this, what is the transfer rate? Maybe I should put the HDD in the DVD slot on the caddy, and put the SSD in the HDD slot, so that the transfer rate is not compromised.

Solution
SiSoft Sandra Lite (free version) will tell everything you want know about your computer hardware ...and then some. Rumour has it that the pro version will tell you the color of the shoes the assembler was wearing.

In this laptop, the hdd slot is Sata3 and the optical slot is Sata2. Because of that, when I added a SSD I put it in the hard drive slot and put a HDD in an optical drive caddy.

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016

So DVD SATA would be equal to the SSD SATA?

They wouldn't cut costs on something like that, would they? SATA III is not an expense like that is it, and they want the DVD to as fast as possible, right?

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
I think we're falling of tracks. I won't be needing the DVD. I'm going to throw that out.

This and ASUS x550l laptop, and I'm adding a 500GB SSD to it, but I'm deciding if I need to put it in the storage drive slot or the DVD slot.

bignastyid

Splendid

I use to put them on a grinder to make them explode for fun.

bignastyid

Splendid

If it's Sata III the SSD won't be limited, Sata II might be limited some depending on the drive used, Sata I and SSD will be limited.

That model of laptop uses Sata III

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016

Sounds good. Thanks

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
I'm looking at these caddies for sale on the web, and they all only say they are SATA to SATA interface, but they can allow SATA III to SATA III. It sounds like it only is going to work at SATA I speeds, but it will accept SATA III connectors. This sounds like I need to put the HDD in this caddy, and use the original drive caddy for the SSD, so I'm not compromising data transfer speed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-SATA-HDD-SSD-Hard-Drive-case-Caddy-for-ASUS-X555L-X555LA-K555L-Q551L-R554L-/162148742187

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Support Transmission Standards: SATA I / SATA II / SATA III

Right from the link. Looks like your SSD would be fine in this device.

UPDATE: This means a SATA III SSD should work as a SATA III device in this caddy, if connected to a SATA III port.

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from oathmark1 : "These Laptop Caddies for Extra SSD or HDD Appear to Be Only SATA to SATA???? :/"

I'm looking closer at the specs of the laptop caddies, and it doesn't look like it's going to be faster than SATA I. It says it is fit for SATA to SATA, and it can bear SATA I, II, III, but it does not say anything about the transfer speeds being up to SATA III transfer speeds.

Does anyone see this like more or anything differently?

Thanks

This is a link to one of them. They're only $10.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-SATA-HDD-SSD-Hard-Drive-case-Caddy-for-ASUS-X555L-X555LA-K555L-Q551L-R554L-/162148742187

bignastyid

Splendid

As the good COL pointed it it states "Support Transmission Standards: SATA I / SATA II / SATA III"

In case English isn't your first language Transfer=Transmission

popatim

Splendid
Many laptops optical drive bay's only have sata1 or sata 2 technology whereas the storage bay is sata3. I always put the hdd in the optical bay slot since they rarely can outperform it, and put the ssd in the hdd slot.
Units with multibay slots are the exception in most cases, those are usually sata3.

when in doubt, simply google the "model#" and "Slow ssd in optical bay" together and read the results. You shoud also google the model# and 'replacing hdd with ssd' to see what resuolts people get. Some laptops will not allow ssd's, though this may have been done away with by now.

oathmark1

Commendable
May 15, 2016

This is exactly what I was worried about.

It's an ASUS X550L Laptop, and I don't see anything online except paid ads that are selling stuff.

robert600

Distinguished
SiSoft Sandra Lite (free version) will tell everything you want know about your computer hardware ...and then some. Rumour has it that the pro version will tell you the color of the shoes the assembler was wearing.

In this laptop, the hdd slot is Sata3 and the optical slot is Sata2. Because of that, when I added a SSD I put it in the hard drive slot and put a HDD in an optical drive caddy.

Solution