Im struggling to find which ram is compatable with an ASUS X554LA-XX959T

icetimed

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
Hi guys.

I'm upgrading my wife's laptop a little with and SSD and an extra 4GB of Ram...I hope!

I cant find ANYWHERE the type of ram I can install in the extra slot on the laptop. The first 4Gb that comes with the laptop in soldered in so its not just a case of swapping out the 2 sticks.

Ive tried some I had lying around from Samsung but it wont recognize the 2 working together.

If anyone has an idea of which type I can buy which is compatible Id be very great full.

The laptop is a ASUS X554LA-XX959T - the usual critical search didn't come up with anything for me.

Thanks for you help.

All the best!

Solution
I found this and I think it should be similar to your system or download cpu-z and get the RAM type.

ASUS X555LA Laptop takes the PC3-12800 DDR3L SODIMM 204-Pin memory memory type, and comes installed with 4GB(Non-Removable).

Mister_MO

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Try updating bios, one version of it had bug where it caused ram errors and incompatibility. And as for your notebook, it should have board marked as x555la, so for ram compatibility look for this one.

th3p00r

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
I found this and I think it should be similar to your system or download cpu-z and get the RAM type.

ASUS X555LA Laptop takes the PC3-12800 DDR3L SODIMM 204-Pin memory memory type, and comes installed with 4GB(Non-Removable).

Solution

icetimed

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Hey thanks for the reply but the scanner only comes up with an 8gb upgrade which seems mad for a system already on a soldered 4gb stick. I would like to upgrade another 4gb so the actual ram it accepts is more important than maximum capacity...

icetimed

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Ill run CPUZ - thanks for that. Its a nice little tool although buying the same clock speed and dimm type is good but not guaranteed to work... its a shame they solder these things to be honest.

Id really like to find a list of approved ram, but that doesn't seem to exist... :/

icetimed

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Thanks for the shout. I have updated the bios recently so its a no go for my samsung sticks.
Itd be great if I had a list from asus of accepted ram upgrades - I already have many ram sticks from old laptops and pc's so don't really want any more! (or mainly to waist money on an outdated memory class just for it to sit in the back of a draw!)

icetimed

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Your right but this is why Im here! Trying to minimise the risks again. Ill run CPUZ, and try and buy something then.

I know for ASUS mother boards they have accepted ram lists, its strange they don't for laptops??