Question I'm worried I may be overusing my dell laptop.

Jan 24, 2022
So I got this laptop on June, 2021 and this laptop is fookin' awesome. It was really expensive but it works perfectly, totally worth its cost. The only time this laptop ever "hanged" was a month ago when I was watching a YouTube video and all of a sudden it froze, I pressed every key but it was just frozen. I started panicking. Then I searched how to solve this problem on google on my mobile. As Google told me, I pressed and hold the 'Esc' key for roughly 15 seconds and, thank god, it was back. A wave of relief passed through my body, lol. So, since then I'm worried that I may be overusing my laptop. I use this laptop for 10-12 hours every day, which I think is too much. All this time, whenever I closed my laptop, I put it on Shut down mode instead of putting it into Sleep mode. But some days ago, I learned that Sleep mode is better to put on when closing your laptop for people like me than Shut down mode. Since then, I put my laptop on Sleep mode when closing it. Now I ask you guys, is Sleep mode really better for me or Shut down mode. And about me overusing my laptop, I will definitely stop using my laptop too much, lol.

Don't worry about wearing out your laptop. There is not much to wear out! Just make sure the cooling vents stay open (like don't lay it down on the rug when it's on for an extended period of time.

Sleep mode is better as startup is then very quick with everything just the way it was. In sleep mode, it draws a little power to keep the RAM and CPU "alive" so the battery will slowly drain and perhaps generate a little heat if put in a case. Go read about hibernate mode also. Hibernate is like sleep except all RAM and processor state is written to the SSD. Startup is a little slower but there is zero power draw. My machine is set up so closing the lid puts it in sleep but pushing the power button puts in hibernate. Your challenge is to figure out how to do this yourself. It's not the most straightforward thing to do.

Jan 24, 2022
Don't worry about wearing out your laptop. There is not much to wear out! Just make sure the cooling vents stay open (like don't lay it down on the rug when it's on for an extended period of time.

Sleep mode is better as startup is then very quick with everything just the way it was. In sleep mode, it draws a little power to keep the RAM and CPU "alive" so the battery will slowly drain and perhaps generate a little heat if put in a case. Go read about hibernate mode also. Hibernate is like sleep except all RAM and processor state is written to the SSD. Startup is a little slower but there is zero power draw. My machine is set up so closing the lid puts it in sleep but pushing the power button puts in hibernate. Your challenge is to figure out how to do this yourself. It's not the most straightforward thing to do.
I see. Thanks for answering! But I have just this one problem with putting my laptop on Sleep/Hibernate mode. Whenever I put my laptop on Sleep/Hibernate mode then close it and open it later, there appears a stupid white square on the bottom of my screen. It is completely immovable, it is transparent so you can see the things behind it, but can't interact with the things behind it. You can't right click on it and move it anywhere, you can't delete it, it just stays there. It is literally a small transparent wall. I know restarting my laptop or shutting it down and opening it again removes this wall, but when I put my laptop on Sleep/Hibernate mode again, it brings this idiot back again. So I can't, for the life of me, put my laptop on Sleep/Hibernate mode without having this idiot appear again. That's the only and only problem I face when putting my laptop on Sleep/Hibernate mode. I did googled how to solve this problem but none of the websites were able to solve it. Do you know any ways by which I can solve this problem?

mrmike16

Honorable
I see. Thanks for answering! But I have just this one problem with putting my laptop on Sleep/Hibernate mode. Whenever I put my laptop on Sleep/Hibernate mode then close it and open it later, there appears a stupid white square on the bottom of my screen. It is completely immovable, it is transparent so you can see the things behind it, but can't interact with the things behind it. You can't right click on it and move it anywhere, you can't delete it, it just stays there. It is literally a small transparent wall. I know restarting my laptop or shutting it down and opening it again removes this wall, but when I put my laptop on Sleep/Hibernate mode again, it brings this idiot back again. So I can't, for the life of me, put my laptop on Sleep/Hibernate mode without having this idiot appear again. That's the only and only problem I face when putting my laptop on Sleep/Hibernate mode. I did googled how to solve this problem but none of the websites were able to solve it. Do you know any ways by which I can solve this problem?
Reinstall your graphics driver and the chip driver via the support.dell.com website (Not a 3rd-party one). If that doesn't fix it, Dell needs to take care of it- Being from June 2021 it is still under warranty.

As for the Sleep/Shut Down question, I personally use Sleep mode only if I know I will be using the computer again within a few hours. If not, I shut it down, since it operates in a cleaner OS environment.

Reactions: SithLord1109
Good luck with the "square" issue.

To each his own. I like hibernate since I don't have to reopen things. I agree it is sometimes helpful to restart to clean things up, but I typically go weeks between restarts! When I notice something whacky I restart.

Jan 24, 2022
Good luck with the "square" issue.

To each his own. I like hibernate since I don't have to reopen things. I agree it is sometimes helpful to restart to clean things up, but I typically go weeks between restarts! When I notice something whacky I restart.
I too restart whenever I notice something whacky. I restart whenever I notice that white square. But about an hour later, that square reappears. It is a pain in my butt...

Jan 24, 2022
Reinstall your graphics driver and the chip driver via the support.dell.com website (Not a 3rd-party one). If that doesn't fix it, Dell needs to take care of it- Being from June 2021 it is still under warranty.

As for the Sleep/Shut Down question, I personally use Sleep mode only if I know I will be using the computer again within a few hours. If not, I shut it down, since it operates in a cleaner OS environment.
I did that and that white square is gone now but whenever I put my laptop on sleep mode, it reappears again. Seems like the white square has to reappear every time I put my laptop on Sleep/Hibernate mode. Guess I will do more research on how to fix this problem...