Increase Dedicated Video RAM (windows 8.1)

Sep 14, 2018
I have 4 GB of RAM on my laptop, with an Intel(R) HD Graphics Family video card (I think). My dedicated Video Ram should be 2 GB but it's at a measly 128 MB (Barely more than 1/20 what I need). Is there any way I can improve this?
I can provide additional details if I need to.

Solution

no, you can always lookup the model number of the intel HD graphics on your laptop on inte'ls website to see if there are any updated driver for it but that would be the only thing you can do but updating the drivers would not give you this ability

you can always check the BIOS to see if there is an option in there to...

MLG_No_Scope

Prominent
May 23, 2017
Intel HD Graphics GPU are always not so big, because they are not build for gaming.

you cannot directly upgrade DRAM as adding more ram as example, but you can buy an external GPU for that.

what game you are going to play and how much you are willing to spend is your choice

Sep 14, 2018

So what you're saying is that, I'd need to get EXTERNAL hardware, so I couldn't buy software like an update to long outdated drivers?

captaincharisma

Distinguished

no, you can always lookup the model number of the intel HD graphics on your laptop on inte'ls website to see if there are any updated driver for it but that would be the only thing you can do but updating the drivers would not give you this ability

you can always check the BIOS to see if there is an option in there to increase VRAM but i wouldn't think an option like that would allow you to increase it to 2GB.

Solution

geofelt

Distinguished
Look into the bios options for your integrated intel graphics adapter.
There may be some options to increase the allocation of system ram to vram from the current 128mb to a higher number.
2gb may not be reasonable if your laptop has only 4gb installed.
Look into upping that to 8gb.
Not a bad idea anyway. Go to a web site like Kingston or other ram vendor and access their ram upgrade app.
Enter your laptop make/model and you will get a list of supported upgrades.