Increasing the PSU Power on a Samsung laptop

TurnerR0und

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
I have a Samsung 550P7C laptop (Samsung Series-7). Due to an unfortunate event involving a fall, the power supply and input have been damaged. They still work, for the most part, as long as I don't move so I generally use the battery when I have it sat on my knee and then set it down still for gaming.

However it's pretty annoying so I'm looking to get a new power supply. However, as explained here - http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Samsung-Series-5-550P7C-S02DE-Notebook.75601.0.html - my particular laptop had a problem with throttling, both on the CPU (which is written about in the article) and I myself have experienced it on the graphics card (Furmark tests confirm).

So should I get a charger with a greater power than the 90W psu that it's supplied with? If so, how much more powerful - or how would I go about working that out? And finally, do you have any suggestions for a decent either specific or universal charger (they tend to have pretty poor reviews)?

Solution
Well, first: throttling has nothing to do with your power supply's output. It has to do with heat. If the system hits a certain threshold (usually around 90 C), then components throttle to reduce the temps, thus reducing heat, to circumvent a hard shutdown from getting too hot.

As for replacing your power supply regarding the connection problem, you'll want to verify whether the poor contact is the power supply's fault, or the DC jack. DC jacks get damaged quite often.
Well, first: throttling has nothing to do with your power supply's output. It has to do with heat. If the system hits a certain threshold (usually around 90 C), then components throttle to reduce the temps, thus reducing heat, to circumvent a hard shutdown from getting too hot.

As for replacing your power supply regarding the connection problem, you'll want to verify whether the poor contact is the power supply's fault, or the DC jack. DC jacks get damaged quite often.

Solution