Incremental Backup to Non-Proprietary Format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2018
I was wondering whether anyone could recommend a good program to perform bootable incremental backups of my system drive, WITHOUT forcing me to use a proprietary file format. Ideally saving incremental backups to a universal format like .iso files or as actual files/folders rather than image files.

A lot of the popular ones (Acronis, Paragon, Macrium, etc.) make it impossible to read the backed up files without having the software installed.

Thanks!

Solution
Right.
FreeFileSync does NOT do bootable backups. It's simply a file copy solution.

I use Macrium exclusively.
I have a Macrium Rescue CD in a paper sleeve, taped inside of one of my cases.
Also, a USB around somewhere.

If Macrium ever goes belly up, I still have that in my possession, ready to use.
And, the possibility of Macrium going belly up, me not having access to my current backup situation (.mrimages), AND not being able to start a different backup scheme with some other software...all at the same time...is a pretty slim possibility.

No internet access in the future? Download the Macrium installer now, and save it somewhere.

You could dedicate a whole other drive as a direct "clone". Using any of the current tools...

USAFRet

Illustrious
SyncBackFree and FreeFileSync can backup (copy) files/folders in their original format, to whatever location you desire.

Macrium images (.mrimage) can be read without installing the application, booting up from a Macrium Rescue USB or CD.

Mar 11, 2018
I know FreeFileSync and I use it for straight back up and sync, but I don't think it does bootable backups, right?

Yeah I know what you mean about the Rescue USB. Acronis has this too. But both of them use image formats that can't be opened by any other app.

So I guess my question is this...

Is there a free software out there that would allow me to read/mount either Macrium or Acronis images? I just feel a bit weird about needing their software license in order to view my own files. Why? Because if they discontinue the software or format, or if I don't have internet access and I can't get the installer, I wouldn't be able to access my files. It's too risky... know what I mean? Or maybe I'm paranoid. I'd prefer using a more universal format.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Right.
FreeFileSync does NOT do bootable backups. It's simply a file copy solution.

I use Macrium exclusively.
I have a Macrium Rescue CD in a paper sleeve, taped inside of one of my cases.
Also, a USB around somewhere.

If Macrium ever goes belly up, I still have that in my possession, ready to use.
And, the possibility of Macrium going belly up, me not having access to my current backup situation (.mrimages), AND not being able to start a different backup scheme with some other software...all at the same time...is a pretty slim possibility.

No internet access in the future? Download the Macrium installer now, and save it somewhere.

You could dedicate a whole other drive as a direct "clone". Using any of the current tools.
No software needed. Just plug it in and boot up.

But that brings significant drawbacks.
-Sucking up a whole second drive as a single 'backup'.
-No incrementals, unless you have a LOT of extra drives

I view the possibility of Macrium going belly up, and resulting in some sort of deactivation of the Rescue CD/USB I already have created...as a very minimal risk.
They can't reach into my desk drawer and deactivate the USB or CD.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.