Indiegogo Project Pitches 650,000 Volt iPhone Stun Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
WTF iphone accessory? This does not even use any function of the iphone except maybe the shape. How is this an accessory? This iPhone accessory crap is getting overboard.
This stupid accessory can be an accessory to ANYTHING. My toothbrush for example.

MaxTesla

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Forget about the Taser, 20 hours of more running time is what people want. So you get a fatter phone, so what, give me the extra time!

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Oh I can see so many accidents happening with this one. "HellAAAAGGGHH":). Imo this is one of those things that was best left on the drawing room floor.

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Now really is 650Kv necessary !!!!

I mess with HV all of the time and it will take some very exotic materials to contain that kind potential especially in such a small space.
Yet nearly impossible !!!!

65Kv maybe but not 650Kv !

jer :)

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I know that but you have know idea what it takes to safely contain 20Kv let alone 650Kv in such a small case.

An arc at the potential will jump a minimum distance of 8" and more like 10" to 12" depending on the condtions of the air at the time.
Even if it is only contained between two points it still has the ability to get to reach around and get the operator or even into the cell phone and take it out.

And if there is no limiting current limiting resistance on the output the pulse current through the arc will be quite high !

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Typically anything over 50 milliamps can be lethal providing the voltage is high enough to make it conduct.

From Wiki "If an electrical circuit is established by electrodes introduced in the body, bypassing the skin, then the potential for lethality is much higher if a circuit through the heart is established. This is known as a microshock. Currents of only 10 µA can be sufficient to cause fibrillation in this case."

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]geraldfryjr[/nom]I know that but you have know idea what it takes to safely contain 20Kv let alone 650Kv in such a small case.An arc at the potential will jump a minimum distance of 8" and more like 10" to 12" depending on the condtions of the air at the time.Even if it is only contained between two points it still has the ability to get to reach around and get the operator or even into the cell phone and take it out.And if there is no limiting current limiting resistance on the output the pulse current through the arc will be quite high ! jer[/citation]

elecricity takes the path of least resistance, just because it can jump what 8 inches, doesn't mean it will.

dakkon

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
[citation][nom]funguseater[/nom]"your holding it wrong"RIP 1983 - 2012Written on tombstone.[/citation]

Can just imagine someone playing one of those driving games on their phone and one of their hand is on the tazer part of it and accidentally triggered the switch for the stungun. LOL

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
At 650Kv nearly every thing becomes conductive and it there is any dirt and/or body fluids or oils on the surface of the device then the surface of the device will be the closes thing and it will conduct along the surface to the operator or even inside the device and destroy itself and/or the cell phone.

"elecricity takes the path of least resistance, just because it can jump what 8 inches, doesn't mean it will. "

Not always true it depends on the conditions and where the charge build up is most concentrated, you can't reliably predict where it will discharge at 650Kv with a hand held device.

Then there is conduction by capaicitance.

Most materials have a dielectric strength of only 1Kv to 2kv per mi maximum, this means that the walls of the case would have to be in excess of a 1/2" thick mininum.
And that is not even factoring in 50% for safety.
Yes some exotic materials are rated at around 5Kv per mil or more, Have you priced those lately?

Look up some Tesla Coil pictures that are in that voltage range and you tell me how it is feasible or practical let alone even possible to produce those kinds of voltages in a space less than or equivilently the same as an IPhone .

I wish the guy lots of luck as I love playing with Very High Voltages.
I have much experience at this type of stuff up to about 100Kv or so.

What happens if he doesn't make is $100,000 donation goal?
Will he have to return the rest ?
Looks like a scam to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.