Initial set up on Onkyo AV receiver TX-NR555

travisde

Prominent
May 10, 2017
I recently bought an ONKYO AV receiver TX-NR555 and I have very little knowledge about audio tech. I bought the receiver to hook up bedroom in ceiling speakers and outdoor speakers to play music. I have no intention on hooking up a tv, dvd, gaming console or any other device to the receiver, strictly music. My question is do I still need to hook the receiver to a tv to do my initial setup because right now my outdoor speakers are connected to the front right and left and work fine but my bedroom speakers connected to zone two right and left dont work. need help!!!

Solution
You may not have to do the setup if you are using the receiver in analog stereo audio only without network access.
If you do want to go through the setup then here are menus that are hard to use even if the front panel shows some of the menu. You can connect a TV just for setup and then disconnect it.
You would have to set the receiver up on your network to use a control app.
Zone 2 is controlled differently than zone 1. It will have it's own source and volume controls since it is meant to operate independently. Check the manual. Page 23 tells you how to switch the remote to zone 2 operation.
You may not have to do the setup if you are using the receiver in analog stereo audio only without network access.
If you do want to go through the setup then here are menus that are hard to use even if the front panel shows some of the menu. You can connect a TV just for setup and then disconnect it.
You would have to set the receiver up on your network to use a control app.
Zone 2 is controlled differently than zone 1. It will have it's own source and volume controls since it is meant to operate independently. Check the manual. Page 23 tells you how to switch the remote to zone 2 operation.

Solution