Inspiron 5577 - doesn't boot from new SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattieboo

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
Hey guys,

I recently installed the Samsung 970 EVO SSD (256gb) to my Dell Inspiron 5577, and followed a youtube video (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVnIHTyRX0Q) to install Samsung Data Migration tool and clone the existing HDD files to the SSD. Initially, in device management, the SSD was offline (due to signature collision) so I manually turned it online.

Now the problem is that, unlike the situation in the video, my laptop doesn't automatically boot from the SSD but continues to boot from the HDD.

- When I go to my BIOS setup, under the tab "boot," my boot option priorities show Windows Boot Manager, Onboard NIC (IPV4), and Onboard NIC (IPV6) but does not show my SSD.

- However, if I go to the boot option (by clicking f12), there is the option to boot from my SSD (along with the options above). When I do boot from my SSD this way, it works flawlessly. (Also, the SATA Operation is set to AHCI.)

So how can I make it so that the laptop always boots from the SSD, instead of the HDD? Would formatting the HDD work? (I'm afraid since SSD was the one initially offline due to signature collision, formatting the HDD will cause problems)

Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
To boot from this SSD, it must be partitioned as GPT (not MBR) and you have to use "Windows Boot Manager" option is BIOS; this option will boot in UEFI mode, which is required for booting your device.

herrwizo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
To boot from this SSD, it must be partitioned as GPT (not MBR) and you have to use "Windows Boot Manager" option is BIOS; this option will boot in UEFI mode, which is required for booting your device.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.