Install Windows on external drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipsdenim

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I am having Dell E6410 laptop (Windows7) which has esata interface. I have an external Hard drive on which i want to install windows xp. Is it possible to install windows xp on external drive and at boot time i can decide whether to boot from internal hdd (windows7) or from extenal hdd (windows xp) connected via esata interface?

Please help.

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
The bios should be able to set boot priority, i.e. hd first, usb later etc.
You can set to boot to esata first, then the hd. That way if the esata isn't plugged in, then it will boot from your harddrive.

philipsdenim

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Thanks for the information.
Actually i dont have permission to install anything in the existing hard-drive and infact i dont want to touch that HDD as it is for office use only.

I just need an external harddisk along with existing laptop with windows xp.
Is it feasible? any pointers?

That might not violate the the letter of the prohibition of installing on the internal HDD but it certainly seems to violates the intent.
You'd be putting the security of the whole laptop at risk running a low security OS on an external drive. Risk is getting a malware/virus infection on the laptop's HDD.

Have you asked permission do that type of activity?
If the reason you're not allowed to do installs on the HDD is security based and I were making the call - I'd say running an external HDD with WinXP would also not be allowed.

philipsdenim

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011

I cant remove internal hdd. Is it possible to install windows xp on external drive and at boot time i can decide whether to boot from internal hdd (windows7) or from extenal hdd (windows xp) connected via esata interface?

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
is installing xp or 7 in a portable storage even possible? i tried that once with xp sp3 connected by usb when my os drive crashed. it didn't work. i had to remove my crashed os hdd, use the other hdd (previously connected by usb) as the primary internal hdd and then install the os. i read somewhere that microsoft designs their os to not install on external/portable storage.
there is no problem with linux installing in an external drive though.

timmah_11

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Bro really? what are you a CISSP IA freak? im not trying to be rude but honestly there is a reason we have people that work in IA and its not because we need Security on our mouses and keyboards. Its because you where not wanted in the other part of the office.

thanhvn20

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

Hello there. I have a simple solution for you if you are familiar with backup & recovery by acronis true image. Then step as bellow:
1. Install windows XP to your internal HDD
2. Make backup your windows XP by acronis true image
3. Create 1 primary partition in your external HDD
4. Recovery windows xp backup file which is already created in step 2 to primary partition in your external HDD.
5. Restart your laptop and press F12 key to get in menu boot select . Then select boot from external HDD
That all and Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.