scoob

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Im trying to install the recovery disk on my friends toshiba m40 laptop and when i started to use the disk it gets about 2 and a half blue bars in progress the craps out. And it happens all the times i try it so i decided to try my original xp and vista to see if they would install. But it doesnt even see those disk and i do got the cdrom as first boot and it see's the recovery disk right away but why not vista or xp, Im so confused lol so anyways Thx for any help in advance :)

Solution
It looks like your hard disk may be failing...this could cause some problems if it's on the same bus as your optical drive.

I would use the ultimate boot CD to test your disk. I'm a fan of the IBM drive fitness test.

scoob

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Thanks frozenlead for all your help. You must be really appreciated on all the forums you visit. Again thx for all your help i dont know what i would have done without you. . . . .

scoob

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Np It looks funny to me also when i read it lol. So i guess my main question is how do i get it to load my xp or vista disk? My Cdrom is my first boot and it does load the recovery disk right away but i always get an error during the process. And when i try my Vista or xp disk it just goes pass them and says there is no os installed. (I never get the message press any key to begin install)

scoob

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hiya the error i get is application error 29004. Read sector failure = 1, drive = 128, sectors 1978711 to 1978775. If this problem persists, please contact Toshiba support or contact symantec support.

For my vista or xp cd they worked great anywhere else but just doesnt get detected by this laptop. It also came with Toshiba Express Media Player cd which says on it for full recovery insert this disc first. And when i do, it also boots up no problem just like the recovery disk.

frozenlead

Distinguished
It looks like your hard disk may be failing...this could cause some problems if it's on the same bus as your optical drive.

I would use the ultimate boot CD to test your disk. I'm a fan of the IBM drive fitness test.

Solution