Installation 4 dummies

DeeRock28

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Hello,
I just got a cable modem in the mail from time warner cable to add on to my cable that i already have. But I have my own router(netgear),and i have no idea how to put a lock on my wi-fi or if i even hooked it up right???? plz help!

Fender0246

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
1. Connect the modem to the coaxial cable coming from the wall.

2. Connect the modem to the router using and ethernet (RJ45) cable. This should go into the port on the router labeled internet or some equivalent. Some modem it will actually be seperated by a gap from the other ehternet ports on the back of the router.

3. Connect the router to your PC/Mac using an ethernet (RJ45) cable.

4. Refer to your router manual to set up the router for internet access and to set security protocols.

davec80

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

On the back of your netgear router, there will be a jack marked "WAN" or "uplink". If it's not labeled, it should be obvious which jack it is. Like, there might be four jacks of one color and ONE jack of a different color. The ONE jack of a different color will be the WAN port. You need to use an ethernet cable (one came with your netgear router, one also might have come with your TW cable box) to connect the WAN port of netgear to the TW cable modem.

Next, you need to use another ethernet cable to connect any other port of your netgear router to a PC. Yes, you NEED to do this. You can disconnect this cable after the router is set up, if you want to. But to set up the router, you need to use a ethernet cable.

Next you need to figure up a web browser like Internet Explorer or firefox and navigate to the settings page of your netgear router. The web address of your netgear rotuer is most likely
You will be prompted for a user name and password, you can find them here:
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/routers/qt/netgear-router-passwords.htm

Then you'll be in the settings menus. Go to wireless section, turn wireless or "radio" on, enter a custom SSID (network name), set your security to WPA2, type in a security key (or have it generate one for you). Write the security key down. Go to a notebook or other PC with wireless capability and use your security key to try to connect to your own wireless network. If you connect and can browse the Internet, you are done!

Now you can disconnect the ethernet cable from your PC to the netgear router, if you want to.