Installed Linux Mint 17.1 on a External HDD, but Now Laptop Won't Run the OS

Phantom0x0

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015
So my Laptop's (Toshiba Satellite; forgot the detailed description) internal HDD decided to get corrupted, so I decided instead of parting out the rest of it or to go out and buy a new HDD I decided to use an External HDD I had lying around and install Linux on it in place of my internal one (That was running W7 at the time) via a USB thumb Drive with the installation loaded on to it using Universal USB Installer. I plugged in both the USB w/ installer and the External HDD into my laptop, hit F12, chose the 5th option "USB" (I did not change the Boot Order from the BIOS though), loaded the installer and test desktop, ran the installer, used This YouTube Video to set up the partitions (Bin, Root, Swap, and Home), finished the installation, unplugged the USB drive with the installer on it, restarted the computer, hit F12, Chose USB (Still the 5th Option), then got a Black Screen with something along the lines of "No OS Detected" in white letter on the top of the screen. What Went Wrong?

legoboye

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
Go into into Bios, and change the boot order so your external hdd is the first it will try to boot from. If you dont have that option, make sure windows boot manager is the first one.

Not-a-RINO

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015
You ever consider loading another HD into your computer? I saw on Pricewatch you can get a 240GB SSD for $85 which will be fast and have not mechanical parts to break (there are many mechanical drives there for cheap). If you're unsure about installing the drive, I'm sure there's plenty of online videos and/or tutorials you can find to help (it's fairly easy). Unless you had your Windows backed up, you may have to download a copy and use your COA first, then install Mint 17.2. Good luck!