Installed new hard drive computer says "error no hard disc found"

Heather Quinn

Estimable
Aug 26, 2014
I nhave a Dell D-610 and just purchased a new hard drive HTS4240400M9AT00. When I insert the new drive and boot the computer it says "Error No Hard Disc Found". I even put the old one back in and it says the same thing (there was np with old drive it was just maxed on space and it was a 40gb compared to the new 80gb) I have the Dell Windows XP OS discs (it says Reinstallation CD - Microsoft Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2) and I put that in but since it's not recognizing a drive I can't reinstall the OS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ty

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
1) Did you connect the SATA cable from the hard drive to the motherboard? This is what the hard drive uses to send data to the components of the computer.
2) Did you plug the power cable into the hard drive?

Edit: oops thought this was a desktop computer

BillV523

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

Did you get this resolved? And if so, how? I'm having problem with WIndows 7 install finding the hard drive but it shows up in the DISKPART command but says it can't find the drivers to install Windows 7 onto the disk. wtf??? Windows generic drivers don't auto-install? Its a Seagate ST32000528AS 1TB sata drive in a Dell Optiplex 755 pc. I already had W7pro64 installed on it but the computer crashed a week later for unknown reason, rebooted itself and could not find drive. I was able to retrieve data via a docking station to another pc (and drive appeared to be intact O/S and all), could mount it in a Linux pc and see that partition 1 (no drive letter) was a boot partition named "System Reserved" and partition 2 was the Windows install, both were NTFS. After numerous days of trial and error trying to get this drive to boot in the Dell pc (the Dell will boot from USB's, Floppies, and DVD/CD's) I did an hdparm secure-erase, after that is when I could finally view the drive in DISKPART from the Windows 7 install disk, but still it would not install even after formatting 2 new partitions (hdparm wipe pretty much makes the whole drive "unallocated" although it may still have HPA and DCO hidden files on it); I also prior to hdparm did a dd wipe to clear the 0 - 2048 front of the drive, however, dd wipe was stopping at 50MB due to the drive reporting an I/O error, the hdparm wipe as mentioned was successful, but still unable to install Windows, says it needs drivers for the hard drive.

So the original issue was that Windows could not find the drive after a crash, then a wipe was also reporting errors. Why are you surprised that Windows won't install? Try it with a different hard drive. If a car won't start, would you get out, walk to the other side, get in through the passneger side and try to start it again, or actually check the engine? There are some odd drive issues that will go by even a low level disk scan and report it as good, yet won't work properly. I've ran into pleny of them. Disk check utility shows drive with no issus, yet won't install anything or run very slowly with constant disk activity till you replace the drive, then PC is fine again.

BillV523

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

It's on its way back where it came from, was just wondering if I had missed something in the Windows install, used to have to run disk installs from floppies many moons ago before installing they O/S, but was quite sure Windoze had advanced since then and the original author never mentioned their question as solved.