Solved! Installed new harddrive but cant load windows in it

Dec 31, 2018
Trying to install os on new harddrive . It jumps and gives me this information
Free dos language
(FreeCom version 0.04-pre2 XMS_SWAP(AUG 20 2006

Saga Lout

Olde English
If it's ignoring a properly bootable device, it may be because there's something further up in the queue. Can you look in BIOS and make sure it's set to use the flash drive.

If BIOS has a setting named USB Legacy Support, make sure it's set to Enabled. If it's not, there is no power to the USB Ports until the Operating System cuts in.

Saga Lout

Olde English
What media are using for an installation and where did you download the ISO? A genuine Windows download wouldn't throw that message to prepare the machine for an installation.

If that is the case, save you time because its chances of passing Microsoft's Activation process are very thin.

2006 would have been Windows Vista and that's not worth the time it would take to get it running.

Saga Lout

Olde English
If it's ignoring a properly bootable device, it may be because there's something further up in the queue. Can you look in BIOS and make sure it's set to use the flash drive.

If BIOS has a setting named USB Legacy Support, make sure it's set to Enabled. If it's not, there is no power to the USB Ports until the Operating System cuts in.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 0
M Laptop Tech Support 5
I Laptop Tech Support 3
R Laptop Tech Support 1
juliver Laptop Tech Support 3
vronti Laptop Tech Support 0
O Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 0
A Laptop Tech Support 2
O Laptop Tech Support 1
3 Laptop Tech Support 1