Installing a Touchscreen onto a Dell Inspiron

Snipars Blade

Estimable
Aug 17, 2015
So I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7559 non touch and I really want to install a touchscreen onto it.
It is too late for me to return it and I just want to add a touchscreen because it is my new standard laptop.
Can somebody please link me places where to buy parts and a guide on how to install the screen please?

Solution
As far as I can tell, it is technically possible. However, some methods come with significant risks and may cost more than buying a new laptop. One approach is to contact Dell and attempt to order a replacement touch screen. Here's some info from someone who went that route:

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2246766/replacing-touch-laptop-screen-touch-screen.html

That model (E7440) did feature interchangeable screens with the same connectors for both screens. However, the cost was practically the same as buying a new system.

Another option is a touch screen overlay, which is pretty kludgy to be honest, though cheaper. Finally, there's the route that involves buying an aftermarket nonspecific touch screen and soldering your own...

TMTOWTSAC

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
As far as I can tell, it is technically possible. However, some methods come with significant risks and may cost more than buying a new laptop. One approach is to contact Dell and attempt to order a replacement touch screen. Here's some info from someone who went that route:

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2246766/replacing-touch-laptop-screen-touch-screen.html

That model (E7440) did feature interchangeable screens with the same connectors for both screens. However, the cost was practically the same as buying a new system.

Another option is a touch screen overlay, which is pretty kludgy to be honest, though cheaper. Finally, there's the route that involves buying an aftermarket nonspecific touch screen and soldering your own connections...I wouldn't recommend it.

Finally, have you thought about buying a tablet and using it as a second screen? Depending on the platform and software used, it's potentially the cheapest option and would give you full touch functionality as well as a tablet.

Solution

Snipars Blade

Estimable
Aug 17, 2015

Yeah I have reconsidered after reading this, I think I'll just buy a draw pad for some functionality of what I wanted to use the touchscreen for.

Thank you for the response