Solved! Installing Digital Antenna

Jan 15, 2019
Hi all, first post here.
I'm looking for online resources to learn about cable wiring in my house.
I want to move to a digital antenna and cut my cable TV bill. I have a cable connection box in my garage, but I'm not sure what those cables do in there. I'd like to learn about that connection box so that I can maybe connect my digital antenna to the box, and then will be able to connect the TV to the outlet in the wall.
Does that make sense?
I've done some internet searching about this topic, but can't find any info. I think it's likely that I'm searching with the wrong terms.
Any suggestions or links would be appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Welcome to the forums. Any antenna can receive analog or digital signals but some are better than others. Go to www.antennaweb.org and enter your zip code (USA only). Based on the results you will purchase a UHF, VHF or combo antenna. Look inside the cable box and you should see a splitter. The splitter has one input and multiple outputs. Label the input cable as CABLE and disconnect it. Connect your antenna (coax cable) to the splitter input. Use the TV menu to scan for channels.

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Welcome to the forums. Any antenna can receive analog or digital signals but some are better than others. Go to www.antennaweb.org and enter your zip code (USA only). Based on the results you will purchase a UHF, VHF or combo antenna. Look inside the cable box and you should see a splitter. The splitter has one input and multiple outputs. Label the input cable as CABLE and disconnect it. Connect your antenna (coax cable) to the splitter input. Use the TV menu to scan for channels.

Solution
Jan 15, 2019
Is there a way to upload a photo here?

No%20Man-at-Arms%20Left%20Behind

So that box in your garage belongs to the cable carrier, just unhook the OUT coax cable from it and hook it up to your antenna.

Next question, what kind of antenna? that depends whether your broadcast sources are clustered in one spot, within 35 degrees or so then a directional antenna better, else sources all over the place, an omni-directional. The higher you mount the antenna the better.

That is the gist of it.

Jan 15, 2019
e7mrg5.jpg

Can you guys see this? This is the problem--they look like random wires to me. Can you help me distinguish what they are?

Edit: changed photo link. Sorry, the photo needs to be rotated: the red plastic tabs are on top.

Jan 15, 2019
Thank you! No wonder it made no sense to me! (Duh)
I took a walk around the exterior of my house and found another box labeled "TV". Double duh!
Now it's very clear what I need to do. I'm planning to get a good digital antenna and put it on my roof and connect it to the "in" jack on the connector in that box. Seems pretty easy.
I've looked at the stations nearby and I think a multi directional antenna that covers around 50 miles will do the trick.
Thanks again everyone. Told you I was a newb! But you actually helped a lot.