Installing Genuine Windows on another HDD?

Mar 27, 2015
Recently i bought a 1TB SSHD to be used in my laptop. The problem is, that my laptop contains a genuine retail windows 8.1

If i replaced my HDD with the SSHD and install the windows there along with it's product key, will microsoft makes it genuine?

Solution
Windows 8 hard codes the product key into the motherboard itself. Switching HDD's is fine, it will pull the product key information from the mobo and activate like normal. Enjoy the SSD!

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
The fastest solution is to clone the drive that's in there - I am a fan of this kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Notebook-Upgrade-Connection-ASW-USB3-25/dp/B005C983NA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433508626&sr=8-1&keywords=apricorn+usb+3.0

You can connect the new drive to that USB to SATA adapter and run that software to clone the used space on your existing drive - pretty fast and very effective. I use this when replacing existing drives with solid states all the time and have very good success with the cloned image without needing to expand the partition

tschuyler

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015
Windows 8 hard codes the product key into the motherboard itself. Switching HDD's is fine, it will pull the product key information from the mobo and activate like normal. Enjoy the SSD!

Solution

Shouldn't present an issue, worst-case you can always use the automated microsoft line to transfer it if any issues arise.

As an FYI, to avoid any issues, you could always use the Advanced Tokens Manager which will backup the activation, and run the program once you're up and running on the SSHD. I've used it recently & runs perfectly.