installing Windows after changing the hard drive

salimkohan

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
The hard drive of my dell N5050 laptop crashed last week and I bought a new one and replaced it. After turning it on, it says PRESS A KEY TO START. So I did. and then it says INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS ANY KEY. So I insert the CD that came with the laptop and press a key.Next screen gives me 2 options.
ACTION
1- RUN THE 32 BIT DELL DIAGNOSTICS
Q- QUIT WITHOUT ANY ACTION ( RETURNING TO DOS )
So I press 1. The next screen gives me 2 more options.
DELL DIAGNOSTIC MENU
1- DELL 32 BIT DIAGNOSTIC FOR CD ( GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE ) FOR: VOSTRO NOTEBOOK V130
2- EXIT
So I press 1
The Dell logo comes and again goes thru the same cycle of press a key to start and inserting the CD.
Could you please let me know what to do?
Thank you.

Solution
Is the CD recovery media or just drivers? I know sometimes Dell will provide a Drivers and applications disk, so unfortunately that will not install an operating system. To select boot, on startup hit F12, then you should be able to select your media. If the CD is not for recovery and doesn't have an OS to install your going to have to find an operating system or contact dell for recovery media.

NocturnalPing

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Is the CD recovery media or just drivers? I know sometimes Dell will provide a Drivers and applications disk, so unfortunately that will not install an operating system. To select boot, on startup hit F12, then you should be able to select your media. If the CD is not for recovery and doesn't have an OS to install your going to have to find an operating system or contact dell for recovery media.

Solution

salimkohan

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016