Intel HD 520 is good for gaming

LordVi

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
hello,
i am living in hostel right now and want a nice 2 in 1 laptop kinda a thing. Looking for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.It comes with Intel HD 520 Graphics. And the main thing is i only play Rainbow Six Siege. so is it a good option for this game and all other note taking stuff ? Budget- $1000

Solution
For general tasks, video playback and other visual things integrated intel hd 520 graphics will do just fine, but for gaming - it's a different story. Intel hd 520/620 graphics are good for playing minecraft, overwatch with lower graphics and other light games, but for more graphical power demanding games, it will be a disaster, because intel hd 520 isn't a gaming chip.

Games and their fps you can expect from intel hd 520 graphics card:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-520.149940.0.html (scroll to the ~middle-end to see games)

Of course it may launch the game at lowest possible resolution, lowest preset and resolution scale - can't expect quality from integrated graphics playing newer games - and 20-30fps maximum at...

ThomasKK

Commendable
May 1, 2016
For general tasks, video playback and other visual things integrated intel hd 520 graphics will do just fine, but for gaming - it's a different story. Intel hd 520/620 graphics are good for playing minecraft, overwatch with lower graphics and other light games, but for more graphical power demanding games, it will be a disaster, because intel hd 520 isn't a gaming chip.

Games and their fps you can expect from intel hd 520 graphics card:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-520.149940.0.html (scroll to the ~middle-end to see games)

Of course it may launch the game at lowest possible resolution, lowest preset and resolution scale - can't expect quality from integrated graphics playing newer games - and 20-30fps maximum at such settings.

Solution

Simplejohn

Prominent
Jun 26, 2017

Dec 21, 2017
I play hard games on my HD 520, and it is a disaster. I use the game tweaking tips from the LowSpecGamer, and set the graphics below the minimum and i get at least playable fps.
Fallout 4 on the lowest resolution using mods: 30fps.
GTA V lowest using mods and config tweaking: 20fps.
Kerbal Space Program: runs fine on medium settings.
If you are willing to sacrafice all the graphics of a game, then yes, you can use this for gaming (-ish). I personally have no money to buy myself a pc, so I am using this method to play games until I can afford a pc.