Intel HD graphics part of the CPU?

jeffreediamond

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014
So I’m 99% sure my GPU in my laptop (Asus k53e) died. I’ve spent hours on google and talking to tech-savy friends about this, but I keep getting different answers. Is the Intel HD 3000 graphics GPU an actual part of the CPU or is it on the motherboard? Would replacing the CPU fix my problem or do I need to replace the whole motherboard? (It has an i3 2330M CPU, I’d replace it with a i5 2450M that also has HD 3k graphics). I’d really appreciate some help! Thank you!

Solution
Theres about 100 other things that can cause that. Replacing the CPU likely is not the cure. In fact the failure rate on CPU/iGPUs is extremely rare.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
Yes HD 3000 is an iGPU, it is part of the CPU.

What is your problem? All you have said is your GPU died. What makes you think that? The iGPU portion of a CPU usually doesn't just die out of the blue, there are plenty of other more likely points of failure.

jeffreediamond

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014
I posted a thread about it already but basically I’m getting a black screen when I turn the machine on. All the lights turn on and it seems to work but there is no picture, and I tried hooking it up to an external monitor and still nothing. I’ve thought that maybe it’s the HDD cause usually it made a sound when turning on, but wouldn’t I still be able to see the BIOS or something?

noel_prg_la1979

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
take the laptop to a professional computer repair shop and let them replace the faulty parts. like the previous person said, changing the CPU won't fix the problem. it could be a broken video port or a faulty motherboard.