Solved! Intel HD Graphics v. 5450

EndersShadow

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I am looking at purchasing a HP laptop, specifically one with the i5-450m processor (2.66 Ghz) and 4 gig of DDR3 memory.

I am wondering if it is worth the upgrade to move from the Intel HD graphics to the 5450 dedicated card. If so is it worth it to go with the 1 gig card over the 512?

I want to be able to possibly play some games, but on a regular basis this will be used mostly for school.

Any help would be appreciated

Solution
If you want the option to play games, then the dedicated card is a must. The HD 5450 isn't a great card but it is certainly much better than an integrated graphics solution. Don't pay for the 1gb version of the 5450, you won't see any improvement over the 512mb version with such a low end card.
If you want the option to play games, then the dedicated card is a must. The HD 5450 isn't a great card but it is certainly much better than an integrated graphics solution. Don't pay for the 1gb version of the 5450, you won't see any improvement over the 512mb version with such a low end card.

Solution

EndersShadow

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Complete spec's are almost identical between them (listed them below regardless). Both are using a i5-430m (anything more is overkill IMO) processor and 6 gigs of DDR3 (for comparison purposes). I also have both using a 1 gig version of the card so I can see the max cost of the system. I am building these directly off HP's website since I get a discount off of them at work. The reason computer 1 is using the 5450 and computer two can use the 5470 is that #1 is an ultrathin and I assume there simply isnt space for the bigger GPU and ability to keep it cool.

Computer 1 spec's: HP Pavilion dm4t

•Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
•Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-430M Dual Core processor (2.26GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.53GHz
•6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
•FREE Upgrade to 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
•1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5450 switchable graphics
•14.0" diagonal High-Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366 x 768)
•SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
•HP TrueVision Webcam + Fingerprint Reader + Digital Microphone
•Wireless-N Card
•Full-size island-style keyboard
•High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard)
•Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010
•HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Computer 2 spec's: HP Pavilion dv6t

•Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
•Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-450M Dual Core processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)with Turbo Boost up to 2.66 GHz
•FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
•FREE Upgrade to 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
•1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics
•15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
•No TouchScreen (includes HP TrueVision Webcam)
•SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
•Intel Wireless-N Card
•Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with HP TrueVision Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
•High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard)
•Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010
•HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

holl0w

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hi Endershadow,

The dv6 that you had listed comes with a HD5650 1Gb graphic card and is a above average card, it is capable of games like assassin creed 2 without any problem and you should go for it only if you are going to play games on it. If not I feel that the dm4 laptop will suit you better.

I am personally using DM4 and it been serving me well so far, I like the design quite a lot(keyboard, touchpad) and it looks sleek and comes with fingerprint features which I find to be very useful.

And another thing is that are you sure you will be needing 6Gb ram? I feel that 4Gb ram would be more than enough, additional ram would means more money and more power consumption. If you aren't going to need that I would suggest you to get a 4Gb ram instead.

Cheers!
Holl0w :)

EndersShadow

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

The only reason I they are both listed at 6 gigs of RAM is that the dv6t came with a Free upgrade to 6 gigs. For comparison purposes on cost I wanted to see what that ran. I would use only 4 gig on the dm4t as I dont see the use in paying for the extra 2 gigs since I would never use it.

EndersShadow

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Basically this is a partial wedding gift from my parents to me and my fiancee. I dont play computer games and have my own 3k system to do so if I wanted to.

My fiancee is going back to school and we wanted to get a laptop anyway. I just want to make sure she can play some decent games on here if she wants. The only game she had loaded on her old laptop was the SIMS, but mostly that was due to how crappy it was.

I dont see her playing anything massive like Crysis or games like that, however I want this laptop to last @ least 3 years before we would potentially have to upgrade again.

We will be loading graphic programs like Photoshop onto it so let me know if that makes a difference.

EndersShadow

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Any thoughts? I need to have made a decision here shortly so my parents can purchase before the wedding.

I appreciate any input.

The final spec's (including price) are listed below:

HP Pavilion dm4t Notebook PC (~810)

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-430M Dual Core processor (2.26GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.53GHz
4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
FREE Upgrade to 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5450 switchable graphics
14.0" diagonal High-Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366 x 768)
SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
HP TrueVision Webcam + Fingerprint Reader + Digital Microphone
Wireless-N Card
Full-size island-style keyboard
High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard)
Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010
HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

HP Pavilion dv6t Notebook PC (~835)

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-450M Dual Core processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)with Turbo Boost up to 2.66 GHz
FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
FREE Upgrade to 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5470 switchable graphics
15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
No TouchScreen (includes HP TrueVision Webcam)
SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
Intel Wireless-N Card
Full-size island-style backlit keyboard with HP TrueVision Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard)
Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010
HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

EndersShadow

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Is it worth going from the 512 to 1 gig card in that system (adds to cost of course)

Nope. Large amounts of VRam are only needed if you plan to game at high resolutions and high settings. The 5470 can do neither, so it is a waste of money.