Intel: Our Nokia Partnership Was a Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

the first paragraph reads "Nokia and Microsoft," since when is intel = microsoft?

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
[citation][nom]srgess[/nom]Eat into intel profit, thats so selfish. Can't wait to see a world witch the progress will be over the money.[/citation]

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

stuoke

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
Does anyone who actually owns stock in ARM know how much ARM gets for each ARM designed chip that is sold?

Only one penny, that is it. How would that cut into Intel's profits?

G

@stuoke

funnily enough ARM chips dont just go into smartphones, they go into ATMs and cars , TVs, set top boxes, microwaves... basically everywhere, even if thats just one penny, thats an awful lot of one pennies

G

@stuoke: ZOMG, ARM makes small, efficient chips that are cost effective for everybody from top to bottom, the horror!!!

I guess Intel fanboys cheer when Intel rips them and everybody else off with their exorbitant prices. Yay!!! Intel made huge profits, I'd totally throw a party if I hadn't just dropped $1000 on a CPU.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]kngser[/nom]the first paragraph reads "Nokia and Microsoft," since when is intel = microsoft?[/citation]

Didn't they teach you how to read in grade school? I mean i can see you confusion if all you are able to read is the first sentence or two but when i was in school i was taught how to read and how to understand what i read. You might want to give it a shot.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I'm working for Nokia and I have heard a totally different story. Intel didn't hold their promises and responsibility in developing Meego. Nokia's Meego projects were/are late because of lack of commitment from Intel side. Code libraries that were on Intels shoulders were always late and lacked quality. Meego was a BIG thing for Nokia and Intel screwed it up and now Nokia is loosing market share because of lack of stable next gen smartphone OS. Thanks a lot Intel.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
While intel and nokia had a working relationship on the Meego project, nokia was flirting with MS too. In the end, nokia said to intel, "Me go." Just like MS did with IBM when they were working on the OS/2 project. MS was silently working on Windows. And when Windows was ready, it was "I win dough alone". Birds of the same feather flock together.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]stuoke[/nom]Does anyone who actually owns stock in ARM know how much ARM gets for each ARM designed chip that is sold? Only one penny, that is it. How would that cut into Intel's profits?[/citation]

Because for every one penny ARM chip license sold, that's potentially one x86 chip license at however much Intel charge lost. Especially so now that Intel have specially designed low power chips for mobile devices.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]srgess[/nom]Can't wait to see a world witch the progress will be over the money.[/citation]
What is a 'world witch'? Which kind of witch can fly around the world?

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I seriously did not expect Intel to say anything else than what they said, on this article, on the Windows 8 legacy support and on the production of chips supporting ARM instructions.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Lol, that's a "get off my back" statement from Intel's side.

They made a mistake in choosing Nokia alright; Nokia is/was a very talented company to begin with. I bet Intel fell short with the speed Nokia developed things (phone designs, their Meego OS part, etc) and now they're whining about it.

Cheers!

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
if nokias new windows 7 software gets 20points out of 10 by all and there is no android around to peek my intrest i might get a nokia agen. lets hope and c

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
f u intel. the only mistake you made was not getting an efficient low power soc produced in time to be competitive with the rest of the market.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]f u intel. the only mistake you made was not getting an efficient low power soc produced in time to be competitive with the rest of the market.[/citation]

I agree. easier to see intel failing in the partnership because they could not deliver a strong, power efficiant performer on par with there competiters in the market.

I didnt really expect them to eather. The company has not even remotely catched up to the video market, and how much have they tried, spent, and failed?

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Why would Intel want to support ARM and make it more popular than it's own X86?

I don't see ARM growing much farther than smartphones with basic capabilities since most apps and games won't run on ARM from what I hear.

Either way I don't see Meego ever being a big hit unless it has Apple as a partner and that isn't going to happen! Seems that every time Intel goes outside of what it's good at usually flops! Rememeber DLP chips? Although I definately see integrated graphics processing as something Intel has done well lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.