Intel rapid storage technology causing BSoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenorPedro

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015
If anyone could help me solve this problem I'd greatly appreciate it!

As of Wednesday evening (now Friday norning) I am constantly getting BSoD (be screen of death). My laptop had done a few windows updates and it has been crashing ever since.

According to nirsoft bluescreenview, the crashes are due to intel rapid storage technology. I've checked online for updates for the driver but for my laptop (toshiba satellite u840w-107)but it seems to be up to date with the driver (11.1.0.1006).

What does intel rapid storage technology do and do I need the driver or can I uninstall it with out any side effects?

SenorPedro

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015

Thank you for your reply!
So I should just be able to uninstall it without any repercussions?

Also I was previously thinking of getting a SSD installed to improve performance etc but if this driver is causing my system to crash then I may not go ahead, are you aware of alternatives or am I better off leaving it be?

SenorPedro

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015
I was cautious of installing one straight off intel's website as many places stated that it was better to download and update driver through the Toshiba website.

When I went to check the Toshiba website intel rapid storage technology was not listed with new updates.http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp?service=EU&selCategory=2&selFamily=2&selSeries=198&selProduct=7570&selShortMod=null&language=13&selOS=30&selType=all&yearupload=&monthupload=&dayupload=&useDate=null&mode=allMachines&search=&action=search&macId=&country=all&page=2

I presume with Intel then that it is OK to install the new update of the driver. Regardless of it being personalised to my system by toshiba?

smarthelp

Estimable
Jun 9, 2015
Toshiba is just a vendor, and they don't produce all this chips by themselves, but just ordering it from intel, and usually all laptop vendor stop updating driver list to old devices, so you can use latest driver from intel website without any fear.

SenorPedro

Estimable
Jun 12, 2015
That makes a lot of sense.
Thank you so much for your advice and the time taken to help me out, I really appreciate it! I'll uninstall and update the driver and I'll get back to you and let you know if it has fixed my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.