'intell' folder appears in c: drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

999moon9999

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
I opened up my file explorer today to see that a new file was in the directory. The file name was 'intell' I thought this could be normal being with the meltdown bug and all that this would be rare because I am running windows 10 pro and disabled automated windows updates. That was ok because these sorts of updates seem to dire to ignore so windows must have just installed it for me without my permission (shocker right?) I became suspicious when the folder name was 'intell' and not 'intel'. Then if I recall correctly the meltdown bug could be exploited via java script and when I opened the 'intell' folder there was one folder and it was named 'still' but the file type was javascript. I downloaded malwarebytes, Which I doubt would detect anything of importance because it wasn't like the javascript was constantly running or anything. And now I am here is this anything to be concerned with?

Solution
can you restore to a date prior to that?

A quick barrage of a Defender/MRT scan, Malwarebytes AM and Hitman Pro might be in order, and, I'd certainly be on the lookout for anything suspicious in task manager (mysterious tasks and/ or elevated CPU usage), or, better yet, Process Explorer from MS....

If you do routine banking on the PC in question, a full nuke and pave (delete partitions, reformat/reinstall might be considered best by some rather than trust it was not any sort of complex malware. However, ultimately, the degree of concern/paranoia and course of action must be yours...

Good luck whichever way you decide....

mdd1963

Distinguished
I have an Intel chipset (Z270A Prime board), and, only a single "Intel" folder appears on the root of C: Drive...; this file's properties shows created in March of last year, which would be when I first built computer/installed drivers

I'd be concerned with an unknown "Intell" folder, and, try at least scanning the potentially bogus 'Intell' folder directly...at least with Defender custom scan, yhou can steer the scanner to that folder...

If adventurous, and you have a good back up, try deleting the folder...

(Do you also have a legit "Intel" folder?)

999moon9999

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017

No I have never had or seen an intel folder on my pc before this. I do have an intel processor but I didn't think that they would make a folder soley for that...

mdd1963

Distinguished
Intel CPUs run on Intel chipsets, and, if installing assorted drivers and software included with mainboard, quite often an "intel" folder will be present on root of C: Drive....

However...

It should *not* be misspelled....(my "Intel" folder contains two subfolders, "Extreme Graphics", and, "Logs", and it does not appear my folder has been modified since March of last year, or, about when the rig had Windows /Intel drivers, etc., installed....)

If your 'Intell' folder is much more recent (date created in properties) than your build and/or install of chipset drivers I'd be leery of it, and suspect it as being hostile, frankly.

mdd1963

Distinguished
can you restore to a date prior to that?

A quick barrage of a Defender/MRT scan, Malwarebytes AM and Hitman Pro might be in order, and, I'd certainly be on the lookout for anything suspicious in task manager (mysterious tasks and/ or elevated CPU usage), or, better yet, Process Explorer from MS....

If you do routine banking on the PC in question, a full nuke and pave (delete partitions, reformat/reinstall might be considered best by some rather than trust it was not any sort of complex malware. However, ultimately, the degree of concern/paranoia and course of action must be yours...

Good luck whichever way you decide....

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.