Interested in investing in my own audio and recording setup. Any advice, please?

Remur

Honorable
May 25, 2012
I've recently been interested in investing in my own audiophile/recording setup, but it's a little confusing for me. I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post this.

What I'm essentially aiming for in terms of sound quality is entry-level audiophile quality, I suppose. Something I can at least tell the difference from compared to plugging in my Sennheiser PC360's into my sound card.

At the same time, I'm wanting to achieve nice recording quality along with the ability to use vocal effects on the fly, but while researching all of this stuff I'm running into some confusion with the terminology and the equipment. DACs, mixers, audio interfaces, amplifiers, ohms.. I don't understand what the differences are or what I need.

Here is what I'm currently looking at, although would appreciate a cheaper total:

Rode NT1KIT Mic
Yamaha MG10 Mixer
TC-Helicon VoiceLive Play Vocal Effcts Processor

I think the Yamaha MG06 would be better for me, seeing as I don't need that many inputs, but it looks like the MG06 doesn't include the compressor feature which, from what I've seen in some videos, looks insanely useful. Is there any other equipment I'd need? Are there cheaper options, or better options for a similar price? I haven't chosen headphones yet, and I also plan to look for a microphone arm.

Thanks for any help or discussion.

Remur

Honorable
May 25, 2012

I'm unsure, I'm not knowledgeable about this stuff, so I'm hoping for advice. I assumed it would connect via USB 3.0?

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Remur : "Interested in investing in my own audio and recording setup. Any advice, please?"