Interesting Boot Problem with Lenovo Yoga 13

MJ8121

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
Hello again, folks.

I recently posted about boot problems with my Lenovo Yoga 13 (here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3071205/lenovo-yoga-boot.html). Briefly, it would not boot and the power and battery lights would blink or stay on, but caps lock was unresponsive. All signs pointed to a motherboard problem, so I gave up on the machine. Well, it looks like there is another twist to this.

I removed the SSD yesterday to put it into an enclosure, so that I could access my files, and now the system turns on, looking for the boot media. I should mention that I can can access my files on the SSD in the enclosure on another computer just fine. So, with no SSD, the systems says, "Default boot device missing or boot failed." When I connect the SSD via the enclosure, I am able to try to boot from the SSD. If I choose the main partition, sometimes it goes to the Lenovo logo screen for a while, then gives the message, "Windows ran into a problem and needs to restart." Other times the Lenovo screen starts "Preparing automatic repair." If I go through with this, I can get several troubleshooting options (refresh, reset, system restore, system image recovery, startup repair, etc.). The only one that I have not tried is reset, but the other options are not successful. If I choose to boot from the recovery partition, it says, "One Key Recovery partition has damaged, so do not launch the main application."

I am really confused by all of this, but it sort of sounds more like an SSD or OS issue than a motherboard issue at this point. Or maybe it's both. So, my questions to you all are:
1. Would a damaged SSD cause the original blinking lights and not booting?
2. Would a damaged motherboard allow the system to try to boot like it is doing?
3. Is there any way for me to create a bootable USB from my WIndows 8 installation, while in the enclosure? I do not have any separate recovery media and with OEM Windows 8, I do not have the product key.

I would really appreciate any help with this!

- MJ8121

Solution
Let me first of all explain.

If you took the SSD drive out of the laptop, and for example connected that drive to an external enclosure, say one for example that converts the Sata interface of the drive to a USB connection.

You will get the windows error when you try to boot from the drive.
This because when you first install windows it takes a note of the type of interface it is connected to
Original when installed on a system or laptop.

Original: Sata interface, mode Ahci.

At a point in windows when booting it look and checks that the Os is running on the stored interface and it`s mode it was set up on.

But cannot do this due to the fact you changed the physical interface mode. Since windows is in fact told to look at the Sata...

Shaun o

Distinguished
Let me first of all explain.

If you took the SSD drive out of the laptop, and for example connected that drive to an external enclosure, say one for example that converts the Sata interface of the drive to a USB connection.

You will get the windows error when you try to boot from the drive.
This because when you first install windows it takes a note of the type of interface it is connected to
Original when installed on a system or laptop.

Original: Sata interface, mode Ahci.

At a point in windows when booting it look and checks that the Os is running on the stored interface and it`s mode it was set up on.

But cannot do this due to the fact you changed the physical interface mode. Since windows is in fact told to look at the Sata interface, set to Ahci mode to continue loading the windows os.

But you are now running it from a usb interface.

And that is why when booting windows it either freezes during a boot of the os, or produces an error of it ran into a problem while attempting to load windows.

There is the first problem solved.

Now the resolution to why the power lights and the system will not boot from the internal SSD drive.

The second when you power the laptop on and the fact that the caps lock light of the keyboard unresponsive.
Tells you that the problem with the laptop is that the keyboard of the laptop is faulty, or just one single key of it.

What you have to understand is the moment you hit the power switch on a laptop is the system tests it`s self.
That even includes the keyboard of the unit.
It will test in order each component connected to the laptop motherboard.
If any part of the testing returns a fault in the order set to check components of the system.

All, and I mean all Lenovo branded laptops do this MJ.

Say it checks the keyboard for faults or damaged keys, none responsive.
It will halt any other process in relation to booting of the rest of the system.

Hard as you may find it, Lenovo laptops have this system check.
And the reason why I am telling you is because I had a laptop that was brought to me that would power up then down.
I replaced the keyboard on the unit and it worked 100% after the replacement.

And have found the same problem with more Lenovo branded laptops MJ.

As a test.
Remove the keyboard, from the laptop, and it`s ribbon connector on the underside of the keyboard.
Once done connect a USB keyboard to the laptop.
Put the SSD drive back in the laptop.
Turn it on and see if it boots without any problems.
If it does, you need to replace the keyboard of the laptop to fix the problem ok.

Trust me MJ Lenovo are ass holes with the system fault checking on there laptops.
Mainly because it should report the component that has failed the test procedure that is run each and every time the system or laptop is powered on.

They should of included that, or at least an error code so you know what component is faulty and stopping the system from booting right.

For the most part the common fault is the keyboard has indeed failed,
Since it takes a bit of a hammering. In fact it`s the most common part needed to be replaced to get the laptop to function as it should when powering it on.

But if it is faulty, it does stop the system from booting and posting or even loading windows from the hard drive or SSD drive in the laptop.

Just try it, you may be surprised.

Solution