Solved! Interfacing drawing tablet to MS Word

Mar 6, 2018
I study chemistry at university, and I take notes using my computer. I occasionally need to draw chemical formulas, and don't have time to draw them on ChemSketch during the lesson. I was thinking that a drawing tablet could solve my problem. I use MS Word to take notes (latest version). I know I probably cannot transform the chemical formulas I draw directly into a vector formula (if you know of any software that does that please let me know). I am quite confident, though, that I can send the drawing to my computer in real-time and embed them directly into the document. Is that right? Is it possible to insert a drawing directly from a drawing tablet into MS Word? Does the drawing tablet need to have certain specifics, or anyone will do?

Solution
One of the key developments in Windows 25 years ago, and Office in particular, was OLE - Object Linking and Embedding.
Open your Word, go to Insert menu, and select "Object". Most of these objects is a canvas from another application.

So - go to a Microsoft store, sit in front of a Surface tablet, and play with it. ANother option is to use OneNote as note taker, it has built-in pen support.
One of the key developments in Windows 25 years ago, and Office in particular, was OLE - Object Linking and Embedding.
Open your Word, go to Insert menu, and select "Object". Most of these objects is a canvas from another application.

So - go to a Microsoft store, sit in front of a Surface tablet, and play with it. ANother option is to use OneNote as note taker, it has built-in pen support.

Solution
Mar 6, 2018

What object should I choose from the unending list to achieve what I need?

Mar 6, 2018

Could you suggest a specific app in this matter?

Mar 6, 2018

I thought you were suggesting MS OneNote as a MS Word alternative. Alas, I haven't been able to find an object for OneNote in the MS Word object menu. And yes, both Word and OneNote are installed correctly. Any ideas?

My point was "use OneNote instead of Word". This is what OneNote is marketed for - as a note taking application.
Keep in mind that there are two versions of OneNote - one that comes with Windows 10 as standard, and another one that comes with some versions of Office 2016.

Edit: Actually, you made me finally get a pen for my Surface, and whenever I open Word 2016, a new menu "Draw" appears, next to "Insert", letting me put whatever scribbles I want there.

Mar 6, 2018

Thanks for the info, I will look for the Draw menu once I actually buy the drawing tablet. Main reason why I don't switch to OneNote is that I've been using MS Word since the 2000 version and I'm kinda lazy to learn how to use OneNote.

Mar 6, 2018

I tried that, but the fact that every time you finish one scribble you have to start over to create a new one makes it very hard to sketch chemical structures. Thanks anyway, you have been very helpful!