Interference on brand new mixer (second one now)

Freekill98

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Hi, so I just bought myself a new mic and a mixer however I have this horrible hum in the background ( https://youtu.be/f3QHJwLUrOU ) I believe it may be a power issue as even if I mute the mic via the mixer the interference is still there. A mate of mine said something about loops or something and I don't really understand what he means, he also said get a electrician to check something but I am not really sure what I am meant to tell the electrician if I don't understand what is going on. So this is kind of a double answer I am looking for.

1. Can you help come up with solutions to this problem?

2. If it is a power issue (is there a way for me to check this?) how can I fix it?

i listened to the clip and even with the volume up loud on good speakers i can not hear any hint of hum. in fact, the quality actually sounds fairly decent. of course if its very low level i cant hear it with you speaking the entire time but i would think if its going to be noticeable i would have heard it.

are you sure that it is a recording issue (mic->pc issue) and not just something affecting your speakers/headphones? it could be that you are only hearing it while its not getting into the recording.

could be ground loop if you're getting hum on your end. you can try a ground loop isolator though another simple fix is often using a powered usb hub since it has its own ground.

on a side note, i :lol: at the voice. you have one of those accents that makes listening to the content interesting.

Freekill98

Honorable
May 11, 2013
hmm listening it back that recording was pretty good not sure why but this recording is what I am hearing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xa3yxdY7-U&feature=youtu.be (voice is not as clear cause it's late sorry)

I use this for streaming and my viewers stated they heard it so positive it's the audio in general.

Could you link me an isolator? I am positive the issue is power related and I can't seem to find any isolators for power side of things only the line in ones. How would a power usb hub help? Mixer -> usb powered hub -> pc ?

If only my viewers though so :p

if you have ground loop hum an isolator breaks the connection. likewise a powered usb hub provides another ground so typically fixes the problem as well. that is of course if your issue is ground loop. here is an example of what hum sounds like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBEvnSmXc84

however, i'm not hearing hum like would be caused by this in those test videos. i do hear some background static which could be caused by a sensitive mic or high gain or just a mic with high self noise among other things though its not noticeable unless i turn up the volume very loud. your recording video was a bit jittery.. not sure if you're just tired and you stuttered or if you had a hiccup when recording the file.

now in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvkzLpbpn2Q i do hear hum which may possibly be ground loop but in your two test videos i did not.

Freekill98

Honorable
May 11, 2013
I just listened the hum and your correct it does not sound like my problem. My problem is the static and when doing live streaming it's much more noticeable cause of people watch for long periods of time. It would be good to fix it as there must be a solution somewhere as to why this is happening. I am positive it's not gain as gain is all the way down and even if I mute the mic via the mixer I still get the static.

My old videos are with the blue yeti so can't really compare

I am just really tired and was not doing my usually energetic self :p

Freekill98

Honorable
May 11, 2013
AT2035 and behinger X1204USB (just for facts I did have the mackie profx8 (new) which had the same problem making this behinger my second mixer) I have considered my mic being the source of the problem but no way to test it without mixer so :(

have you tested either of the interfaces with another pc?

that hiss is usually self noise or poor quality preamps. the 2035 should have low self noise so that pushes it more towards the preamp i would think.