Status
Not open for further replies.

lengyel.daniel1

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
So I recently got a pair of studio monitors (JBL LSR 305). They are connected to my pc via a dual XLR to 3.5 mm cable. If I turn the volume on the JBL's up, there is a very loud staticy, crackling and popping sound. It also changes depending on what I do on my pc, for example scrolling up and down on a webpage will change the sound, so does clicking and moving my mouse, etc. Must be something with my pc, because when I plug the monitors into my phone, their is ZERO interference and the speakers work completely fine. I tried plugging the monitors into the same power strip as the computer, it didn't work. Right now the monitors and a sub are plugged into their own power strip, which is plugged into a power socket. Tried unplugging everything from the PC besides the monitors, still have the interference. Please help :c

Solution
I can't explain exactly but I know that interference is "normal" when you use a mouse/mice because they send electrical signals to the motherboards and that's how it registers our input.

Now, this being normal doesn't mean that those problems are.
In order to isolate the problem try disconnecting everything but the audio jack (obviously) - you can also disconnect monitor hdmi/vga if you want - and listen to any crackling and popping sounds.

If sound is clear connect the keyboard, then the mouse and other cables you might have until the problem return and so you can identify what was it.

If problem persists then your onboard soundcard doesn't isolate electrical signal and your solution might be an external/dedicated soundcard
I imagine you already checked this....but if not....check that the case of the PC and the frame of the amp (if it has a ground) are indeed truly grounded.

Now here's another thing....I've come across what you are talking about...basically static coming from the signal output of the PC....and in some cases I've NEVER been able to find the problem.

lengyel.daniel1

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
No it's 100% not a grounding problem.
The noise is the same if I plug the monitors into the front headphone output.

Well... I guess it's hopeless :(
Do you think if I got a USB audio interface it would fix this? I imagine not, I doubt the soundcard is the problem. Why would it be reacting to moving the mouse, and other CPU activity?

lengyel.daniel1

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Thanks I'll try that.
Nah it's not just scrolling and moving the mouse, it's just that CPU activity changes the noise. But the noise itself is constantly there, even when not doing anything.

Victor_3

Estimable
Sep 16, 2015

How exactly? Onboard soundcard or dedicated soundcard?

Victor_3

Estimable
Sep 16, 2015
I can't explain exactly but I know that interference is "normal" when you use a mouse/mice because they send electrical signals to the motherboards and that's how it registers our input.

Now, this being normal doesn't mean that those problems are.
In order to isolate the problem try disconnecting everything but the audio jack (obviously) - you can also disconnect monitor hdmi/vga if you want - and listen to any crackling and popping sounds.

If sound is clear connect the keyboard, then the mouse and other cables you might have until the problem return and so you can identify what was it.

If problem persists then your onboard soundcard doesn't isolate electrical signal and your solution might be an external/dedicated soundcard

Solution
Jul 26, 2018
I'm also experiencing the exact same problem, when I navigate my windows to different pages and mouse scroll it makes the pop sound. Thought it might be driver related, but no it doesn't seem so, I know it's not hardware related but possibly software. I'm using a Behringer UMC 404 HD soundcard. My monitors are Yamaha HS7. If someone has the answer it would be great to share. Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.