Internal Formatted SD Card Files are gone.

Jun 11, 2018
I formatted a SD card as internal storage on my ZTE Maven 3 and transferred around 15 gb worth of files onto the phone. However, out of the blue (I'm not sure when it happened since it's a reflex for me to restart the phone if it slows down or any problems occur), the files are not able to be seen on the phone's default file manager or the computer.
The only folder that showed up was the one named "Android".
I saw a video that recommended that I delete the data from the system apps named "External Storage" and "Media Storage" and then restart the phone.
I did that and now all the default folders are able to be seen (such as the Music and Download folder), but the files are still not there.
I'm 80% sure that the files are on the SD card somewhere because the phone and the computer recognizes that the SD card (which was formatted as internal storage before all this mumbo jumbo) has about 15 gb of something on it; I just can't see it access it.
I've already tried deleting that ".nomedia " file and checked for any hidden files.

Lastly, I'm also 99% confident that the SD card is not corrupted because this is the second time in two weeks that this has happened. The last time, I restored the phone completely and reformatted the SD card as internal storage and redownloaded all the files I wanted. I don't really want to spend time doing this again.

Many thanks for any help you can give :)

Solution
If the card was actually formatted as "Internal" storage (which isn't that little step the phone can offer when you first insert the card, but takes quite a bit more to make happen) then nothing but the phone would be able to access the data on the card. If a card is really converted to "Internal" storage the cards data is encoded so that nothing else can read it. This includes that phone itself, should the phone be reset. It sounds like something isn't working correctly here.

First, to store files only (not apps) on the SD card, you don't need to change it from "External" storage. They are made just for that, to store files on. However if you are wanting to run apps on the card, then it would need the steps I am including here to...
If the card was actually formatted as "Internal" storage (which isn't that little step the phone can offer when you first insert the card, but takes quite a bit more to make happen) then nothing but the phone would be able to access the data on the card. If a card is really converted to "Internal" storage the cards data is encoded so that nothing else can read it. This includes that phone itself, should the phone be reset. It sounds like something isn't working correctly here.

First, to store files only (not apps) on the SD card, you don't need to change it from "External" storage. They are made just for that, to store files on. However if you are wanting to run apps on the card, then it would need the steps I am including here to convert the card to "Internal" storage. If making it "Internal" storage was done any other way, then the card isn't actually functioning as "Internal" storage. I am also including info on data recovery just in case the files were accidentally deleted or removed. I would seriously also consider a new SD card.

For data recovery...

While there is no guaranty that you can get them back. Deleted does mean deleted. There are a few apps/programs out there that 'may' be able to help you recover the data.

A few of the programs you could try would be... DiskDigger, MobiSaver, Android-Recovery and Tenorshare. They are all data recovery apps/programs. There are many others out there, so check around and see which you would rather try. There is also one called RECUVA, that I have heard is free, which you could try.

One important note though, most of these programs are not free. They may say they are "free" or have "Free Trials" and "Free Downloads". Yet to actually recover your data, and get your files back, you may be have to purchase the program/app. Just so you know.

NOTE: For future reference, I really would suggest backing up your data to a computer or cloud. Often. Better to spend the time doing that, rather than to be out all that stuff if the phone dies, things get deleted/erased or it gets stolen.

Correct ways to convert an SD card to "Internal" storage...

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer. If that is the case, you will not be able to use this information.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage - Option A

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage - Option B

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution
Oct 5, 2018

I have the same problem if you found a solution please share it..