Solved! Internal hdd that is 4tb but slim like normal laptop hdds are...???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dycegamez

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Hello ok so I just got a msi gt72vr 7re dominator pro laptop. What I am trying to do is change the backup hdd from a 1tb to a 4 tb but all the hdds I find that are 4tb are way to fat. is this normal ? and is there any that are regular size ? thank you

Solution
That is normal, there aren't any 9.5mm Z height 4TB drives, they only come in 15mm Z height
If you want 4TB in a standard laptop height (9.5mm or 7mm Z height than currently you need to look at SSD's)

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
That is normal, there aren't any 9.5mm Z height 4TB drives, they only come in 15mm Z height
If you want 4TB in a standard laptop height (9.5mm or 7mm Z height than currently you need to look at SSD's)

Solution

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

Easy to miss the 15mm Z height is really meant for servers, desktops, external USB HDD's, or the very uncommon really large/thick notebooks

dycegamez

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
ohh damn, that sucks not sure if where ever the other ssd is at in the laptop if I can fit a bigger one there. whats the highest I can go for normal drives till the height gets bigger?

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

2TB as there are no 3TB drives

dycegamez

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
oh ok thanks , I think I can add another drive into the pc it has a slot , but not sure where the wire would go?Is anyone familiar with my pc?
heres a pic of the inside part, whats that to the right of the hdd ? looks like I can add another hdd there. but I don't see a connection for any type of wire.
http://imgur.com/a/Yh6TC

Yh6TC

I dunno. Life sometimes is, LOL. Perhaps versions that don't come with SSDs from the factory (if there are any) come with a second connector for a second 2.5" drive (my older GT70 is set up that way). All I know is that the guy in the video said that the guys at notebook check (or was it notebook review?) came up with the procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.