Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
"Ask a name simply known as "Andrew"...
I tried, but the NAME would not answer.../spellcheck

otherwise, pretty sad story

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
This is the reason I hate our government, we give people like this food stamps. I think food stamps should require the same proof of effort that unemployment does. Proof that you're out looking for work. I can't believe that my tax dollars go towards expanding this guy's large gut

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Addiction can be summed up as anything a person brings him/herself to become dependent on. So yes Internet addiction is a real thing, as is gaming addiction, as is cocaine addiction, etc. One could say the pervs from the Modern Warfare Goggles article are addicted to their moms basement\care\etc.

strandwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Compulsion. Insufficient self-control, but can you blame the guy for hangin' with more stimulating fare than with the doofus types that snivel about his behavior?

axekick

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Someone should start an online support group for people with internet addictions....

kind of like having an AA meeting at the local pub

axekick

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]So, is playing on a computer without an internet connection akin to that of drinking non-alcoholic beer?[/citation]

They could no longer call it an "internet addiction".. then they would begin boot-camps for computer addiction I'm sure.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
wow.... tried to use "supporting group in WoW" as keywords on google... it actually leaded to quite a few interesting website. Some are about the support for the game addiction. Some of them are the supporting groups for the WoW "widows". Talking about how some guys choose the game instead of sex.

hmmm....maybe WoW can be an effective way to help those people who have sex addiction..lol.... or maybe even drug addiction!

By the way... I remember somebody set up a WoW supporting group "in WoW"... Since that is the place they can find the person who needs "help". ;)

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
If said article is written by a one Winston Ross, and it's his brother, wouldn't it be Andrew Ross? Whoa, I need to sit down.

I mean really, simply known as Andrew? Why not just say, 'meet Andrew Ross'. I don't know why you were trying to shoot for anonymous here.

axekick

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I had a period of excessive online gaming years ago and forced myself to pull away from it, so understand to some extent how it could become problematic.

I've never played WOW... for this very reason. The only people I know who do play it prefer that to any other activity. I offered to take someone boating last summer and he wanted to stay home and play WOW.

So I do understand that it could become a problem. Living between railroad tracks and continuing this type of destructive behavior is not a solution however.

aford10

Distinguished
This is just a sad story of a person with little to no self control. Not everything is a disease. People need to start taking some responsibility for their own choices.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]xaira[/nom]that sucks dude its sad to see that some can reach so far,[/citation]
Food stamps are not just for people without jobs...Actually if you have no job and you dont qualify as homeless you cant get foodstamps.Its only for homless and people who are WORKING and cant afford to feed themselves after paying all the bills.

anyways back to the article. I cant really feel sorry for this guy because I dont think it a legitimate addiction.Id go as far as to laugh because the only addicition you can get is the same as weed or sweet foods.Its all in your head

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
If it wasn't the internet or WoW, it would be something else. The guy needs to learn self control. Eat well, exercise and meditation or something....

Status
Not open for further replies.