Solved! Internet Download Speed

straydogg56

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I have a 10 Mbps cable modem internet connection which i share with my roommate. He has a dell studio 15 with intel i3 2.13 Ghz processor and 3GB of ram while i have a dell inspiron 6400 with 1GB ram and 1.83Ghz dual core processor. he gets consistently (according to various speedtests)in xcess of 9Mbps wile mine maxes out at a little over 5Mbps!!Could my lack of memory be affecting this or is it simpply a short coming of my processor

G

If he's using ethernet cable to connect his computer to the router and you are using wireless the duplex nature of wireless will always halve your speed.

However, the speed indicated is always vastly inaccurate -- the only real test is to time a large download and repeat the exercise several times at different periods.

If both are using wireless, the simplest explanation is that he has better reception than you.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Are you both connecting with Gigabyte ethernet?
Have you swapped the ports on the router just to see if that makes any difference (doubtful but easy to check)?
What OS do you have? The memory should not make a major difference in connection speeds, I just ask because if you have only 1 GB and are using Vista or Win 7, then you may already be taxing the system. What programs do you each have running? To compare background processes as well as applications open, look on the processes tab on Task Master, or you might run the system checkup tool at PC Pitstop that lists processes running.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/

If that does not help. please provide a link to the specifications for both machines.