Solved! Internet TV via HTPC?

amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
So I have a nice i5 HTPC with a 5770. Its great quality, a 1080p on my 60" Mitsubishi and I've mostly been watching my TV Shows that are on the HDD almost 2000+ hours on TV Shows and movies that I have. I downloaded TVU Player and its nice and all but I dont want to sign an agreement with DirectTV or Dish. Its $40 a month for the first 12 months and then $70 for the last 12 months via direcTV and Dish is about the same. Is there any Internet TV other than Hulu and Youtube?

Solution
It depends on the TV shows you are looking for. At my home, we only get over-the-air TV through the HTPC. Hulu is the next source for TV followed by Netflix. Anything else that we can't get is purchased as a season pass through iTunes or Amazon.com.

By purchasing only the shows we actually care about, our monthly bill is lower than when we were paying for 200+ channels of crap.

The biggest drawback to the way TV is watched at my home is live sports. MLB has MLB.TV, but the other big sports don't seem to have a good internet delivery system yet.

rwpritchett

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
It depends on the TV shows you are looking for. At my home, we only get over-the-air TV through the HTPC. Hulu is the next source for TV followed by Netflix. Anything else that we can't get is purchased as a season pass through iTunes or Amazon.com.

By purchasing only the shows we actually care about, our monthly bill is lower than when we were paying for 200+ channels of crap.

The biggest drawback to the way TV is watched at my home is live sports. MLB has MLB.TV, but the other big sports don't seem to have a good internet delivery system yet.

Solution

amoghthegamer

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

alright thanks for the ideas. Iam really thinking about just going back to DirecTV........ :cry: