Solved! Internet Usage when no programms are open.

Oct 4, 2018
Hi. I own a lenovo Legion Y720 with an i7 7700 hq 3.8. I have no programs open but my wifi is in constant use. It dowloads from 8-20-120 Kb or even 1 Mb and uploads 100+ Kb to 1.9 Mb.Hard drive usage can go from 7% to 80%.Cpu from 5% to 30% I have scanned it with Malwarebytes (free not the premium version) and it hasnt found any threats. I have turned off some windows updates options and some other stuff. I dont know what else to do .

Solution
It doesn't have to be from your computer. It could be someone else using your WiFi if it is the WiFi only that is showing use. Now if it is showing that it is coming from your computer, that is different. I would suggest you connecting via Ethernet and not WiFi and see if you get the same issue. If you don't, then it is the WiFi that is the issue. If you do, then it is something on the device. Next I would try starting up the computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" so that it has internet access and see if the traffic still occurs. If it doesn't, then you need to check the computer again for what is doing it. A deeper virus and malware scan, plus check your programs, even your browser, for the usage.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when...
It doesn't have to be from your computer. It could be someone else using your WiFi if it is the WiFi only that is showing use. Now if it is showing that it is coming from your computer, that is different. I would suggest you connecting via Ethernet and not WiFi and see if you get the same issue. If you don't, then it is the WiFi that is the issue. If you do, then it is something on the device. Next I would try starting up the computer in "Safe Mode with Networking" so that it has internet access and see if the traffic still occurs. If it doesn't, then you need to check the computer again for what is doing it. A deeper virus and malware scan, plus check your programs, even your browser, for the usage.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Solution