Intro DSLR camera help?

sciamwow

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
I'm new to this, but a friend recommended the Pentax K-50 to me. With the kit lens, I think it's a little under $400 but I could just get the body and a used better used 50-200mm lens from eBay. I don't want to spend any more money than that. Any tips/advice?
Thanks!

Solution
With two lenses to carry, you definitely need a bag. The two lens kit should work fine. You will get good at swapping lenses, but unless you really change what your are shooting, one lens will probably last all day.

kanewolf

Judicious

sciamwow

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
I'd like to do some outdoor photography, but I'd also like to be able to take up-close shots of either people or maybe small bugs, frogs, etc. I just don't know how good a 18-55mm lens is when it comes to further shots. For example, I'm in high school, how would an 18-55mm lens compare to a 50-200mm lens for photographing football games from the sidelines? How about an 18-55mm? I'm new to this and just need some direction. Any input? Is the kit lens good for general use? Or only close-up? Is the 50-200mm good for general use, or only for further subjects?

kanewolf

Judicious
If you are in high school, I would ask the yearbook photographers what they use for lenses.

If I had to pick ONE lens, it would be something like a 28-135mm. or 35-135mm The 28-135 will cover indoor but will give you some zoom for outdoor. You have 16Mp to work with so you can crop to create additional zoom.

sciamwow

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
I'll ask the moderator of the club, thanks for the idea of asking them!
I can't be on my computer for a bit, but would a weather resistant Pentax lens at 28-135mm on Ebay or something plus the cost of just the body for the K-50 on Amazon be sub-$400, or not too far over? If you wouldn't mind looking

Thanks for all of your help

kanewolf

Judicious
I don't know what country you are in, but I personally wouldn't buy outside my own country. One of the links was from a seller in Japan.

I would DEFINITELY avoid the "3 lens set"... You really want to find either a genuine pentax lens, or a reputable aftermarket. Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc. If you find a particular lens, then search for a review of it. You will probably find something. The sigma might be good since it is an asypherical lens. But, a used lens is going to be a crap shoot.

There are some kits with the 18-135 but they are above your budget. If you live in a large city, there may be a camera shop with used equipment that you might get for a good deal. I don't have a great answer.

sciamwow

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
I understand what you're saying about buying out of country, and I understand and agree. I live in the US, by the way
I'll take note of what you said about the three lens sets and the reputable aftermarket ones, thanks for listing some brands
Yeah the 18-135 with the K-50 is $600, which is far too much. I'm obviously looking to save the money I can, but now I'm thinking about getting the same kit with the 18-55 and 50-200 lenses together. Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Digital-Camera-18-55mm-f3-5-5-6/dp/B00DBPKAAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441248697&sr=8-1&keywords=pentax+k+50

$470 is more than I'd like it to be, but I'm planning on this being a possible Christmas present and I'm willing to put up $100 or a little more to get the bundle with both lenses. I feel like it'd be more versatile that way, even if I need to carry the second lens around. Do you agree or disagree? I imagine switching lenses just means maybe pulling a release and twisting one off, then twisting the new one on so I can't imagine that process being too painful

sciamwow

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015

Thanks for all of your help. I got the K-50 with the 18-55 and 50-200 WR lenses and I like it a lot! It can be a bit of a pain to swap lenses so often, but it's not too bad. And I got a Tamrac backpack case to carry my stuff. Thanks again!