iOS 4 Causing iPod Touch Battery Problems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Personally i think apple is failing to properly test their new products and software upgrades. Are they in too much of a hurry to get it out the door? This sounds more like what Microsoft would do.

c210pilot

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Didn't see anyone else mention this, but on the iPhone 3G, os4 SLOWS down the loading of apps, especially NATIVE iPhone apps. The one example that I know is repeatable is tapping the Messages app. This app takes about six seconds to load (or by hitting REPLY when I am in another app), whereas on the previous OS, it was an almost instantaneous load.

kareemkareem

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
it's been 10 days since I switched to iOS 4.0,
this morning my Ipod Touch 32GB 3rdG doesn't seem to work anymore,
it refuses to switch on ... Does it mean the battery is dead??
Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

nxym

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
i updated my ipod to iOS 4 and my battery drains out too fast. i double checked if it was software problem or hardware problem after concluding it was the iOS problem. i was furious. i contacted steve and asked about the battery problem.

He said i was holding it wrong.
I said no i wasnt
He again said i was holding it wrong.
I said no i wasnt
He again said i was holding it wrong.
I said its an ipod.
He said OH!
then no reply.......

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]maloy4life[/nom]apple installed a battery draining virus that kills your battery life and forces you to spend more money on newer products...i am no longer a apple fan and will boycott there products, everyone should do the same.[/citation]
Better late than never! :D

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
what is there to say... Apple has done well to gain the majority of the "technically incompetent rich person" market. meaning they can make what ever shit they want and charge what ever they want, then say what ever they want and their customers will believe them. this is why they have never been about taking over the world with general market share: why bother with the part of the market that demands competence and good value when you can just make loads more money off the former?

G

I am another iPod touch user with the same battery problem. The rapid drain seems random. Some nights the touch lasts fine, and on other nights the battery is depleted to 20%. Sometimes a drain of 40% occurs over 3 hours even though the touch is not being used. Charging after such an incident requires only a relatively short time to full charge. This may indicate that part of the problem may be incorrect reading of the true battery level.

G

Me too. Battery is now useless. Apple must fix this or replace out batteries for free.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Apple had better wake up and quit putting these trash updates and messed up hardware (antenna problem) or they will loose their followers.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]orionite[/nom]I did have the same feeling on my iPhone 3gs. I haven't measured it, but the battery subjectively seems to not last as long.[/citation]

That was what I expected as the main "feature" of iOS4 and why I haven't upgraded my iPhone 3G and likely never will. There is not real benefit for the 3G phone since most of the features are disabled.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]kareemkareem[/nom]my Ipod Touch 32GB 3rdG doesn't seem to work anymore,it refuses to switch on ... Does it mean the battery is dead?[/citation]

Yes. It should turn on after 2 hours charging on the USB cable connected to a PC.

KingArcher

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
One third generation owner echoed the same complaint. "Absolutely the same with my 3rd gen iPod. Go to sleep with nearly full battery, wake up with a nearly empty one," said DrWig.

Guess what apple is gonna say????
It's a problem with the software that calculates the remaining battery. It shows 2bars more that there actually is.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]KingArcher[/nom]Guess what apple is gonna say????It's a problem with the software that calculates the remaining battery. It shows 2bars more that there actually is.[/citation]

LOL - Have to admit this one made me laugh :D:D

It seems quite poor that they haven't tested this update before releasing it, they are not doing too well at the moment with all of these issues hitting the press.

I've never liked the Mac OS anyway so I don't own any apple products, but surely this is putting off their loyal customers? :s

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]tuplec[/nom]The battery draining on my Ipod Touch 3G is solved if I turn on the airplane mode.[/citation]

Which disables iAds...

bassman885

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I've tried a bunch of things on my iPod Touch 3rd Gen--disabling Push, turning off WiFi, trying that Microsoft Exchange fix--and while I've gotten back to the point where I can go a whole day without charging the thing, it doesn't have much left over at the end and it's still not lasting nearly as long as it should. It appears that it does okay when it's on standby, but even slight use (listening to music, browsing the web, etc) burns through the battery verrry quickly. Today, I went through 15% of my battery typing up a draft of half an email--WITHOUT a WiFi connection even! I have a six hour flight on Thursday, and whereas before I could listen to music and watch videos here and there for the whole drive, wait in the terminal, and flight, and arrive with plenty of power to spare, this time I'm worried about having any power left when I get on the plane.

I am extremely frustrated that Apple released an upgrade that was supposed to improve the user's experience with this product (that I used to love) but which has instead rendered it very difficult to use at all. When I upgraded, I immediately noticed that the iPod doesn't interface with my car dock (where it gets 90% of its use) as smoothly, but I was prepared to live with that. However, the fact that we need to baby these thing just to get 10 hours of sporadic use out of them is absurd. Checking my email every so often and listening to music regularly should not require all these little adjustments and conditions and caveats. I spent $400 on this thing so I could USE IT, not so I could pamper it to 10 hours of battery life. Apple of course left no (legal) downgrade path for anyone who wasn't satisfied--so those of us who played by the rules and DIDN'T jailbreak are the ones who lose out. I suppose that getting an officially sanctioned downgrade path is too much to ask for, but Apple had better at the very least address this issue with a software update in the coming weeks. If not, I will be selling my once-awesome iPod, because, since receiving this "upgrade" my iPod is no longer the device that I paid for.

G

Yes, the battery runs down faster under iOS4 (32G 3G). Disabling useful (essential?) functions helps somewhat. It's something we should not have to do for an "upgrade." I am very concerned about the markedly increased heating. It's definitely worse when using the iPOD while charging....something we're all doing more frequently. Heat is a killer of Li ion batteries. iOS4 is literally responsible for destroying our iPODS at an ever accelerating rate

G

The best thing to do is shut it down or place it in airplane mode at night until the issue is fixed (unless you want your battery capacity to suffer) Unfortunately that doesn't solve the massive battery drain you'll get while you are actually using it normally. Disabling mail fetching will help and so will disabling push notifications, but all in all, Apple needs to fix this nightmare of an upgrade ASAP.

maviel

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
It's just Apple's way of saying "Lets screw all iTouch & iPhone users over, while they attempt to figure the problem, we'll come up with an ingenious plan to rip $39.95 off each and every updated user! That'll be perfect and they'll never know what hit them!"

Status
Not open for further replies.