iOS 4 Causing iPod Touch Battery Problems

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Mine is an ipod touch 4th generation. It was fine for about the first 4 weeks of using it. Came already installed with OS4, then about a month ago, the battery stated to suddenly drain. Overnight, the battery would be so dead, it would take 10 minutes just to turn back on being plugged in.

I sent it off to apple telling them what happened. They told me they would probably send me a new one. So I took off my 20 dollar invisashield screen protector and sent it it. A week later they tell me they could not recreate the issue and sent it back to me. So now I have an ipod touch, that wont hold a charge for sh** without my screen protector because I couldnt use it afterwards, and they gave it back with scratches all over the silver back. Thank you apple.

G

I have several I-Pods and battery life is never as advertised but not unacceptable. I have a 2 month old I pod touch and the battery life was totally unacceptable by any standard! A trip to the Apple Store confirmed a problem and a replacement issued. Time will tell .

G

I pay good money up front for a quality product and i am angry that i am made to be a beta tester. If I wanted to be a beta tester I shouldn't have had to pay for my 64G touch!

dtonshel

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
Finally some success! I did a COMPLETE restore of my iPod Touch 2G (how to restore - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414). I now have iOS 4.2.1 and seem to have regained the battery life I used to have with iOS 3 (without having to put it into airplane mode or turn off wifi).

I did a restore and set up my iPod as a new device, this wiped all the info off of it, so I had to reinstall my apps and music, but I am glad to have a battery that works again!

Good luck all - - - --

G

what reparations are we the ipod customers due from Apple after this update basically killed the battery? do they honestly think that we're going to pay upwards of €70 out of OUR OWN POCKETS to replace THEIR mistakes? it was THEIR negligence which caused my ipod to be faulty, not mine, so they should be the ones providing this repair for free. am i right?

G

OMG, You Apple people whine like school girls... No technology is flawless. It is a MP3 player. A luxury item. They will get the software fixed more than likely. Do you think you can stop squalling long enough to update your Ipod when it comes out? Don't get any tears on your laptop. If it shorts out, you will think that somebody owes you something! Get a life...

gabetalbott

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
This is what I believe is bugging all of us... Try this fix and see if it works... iOS 4 now has multitasking.. Double tap the home key... you will see an endless list of icons in the bottom ... Keep your finger on top of one of them and a minus sign will appear... Press on this minus sign on all but the ones you really use... If you erase one that you use don't worry it will come on as soon as you open that app again.... All this app on the bottom are running in the backround and using up CPU time and consuming battery life... So keep yor list short

G

You know this is all BS that APPLE created this problem with a VERY BUGGY iOS (4.x) update for the iPhone and it's also Killing the Touch models as well!! There are 20 or 30 "fixes" that WE owners are having to try and CrApple has DONE NOTHING in OVER 7 months since the first release of 4.x!

I have a iPod Touch that ran just FINE under iOS 3.x.x - the battery lasted 7 to 9 days without running down to nothing while in sleep mode checking emails (including 4 Gmail accounts) every 30 minutes! NOW after I updated finally (because for good reason, I DON'T TRUST CrApple updates) to 4.2.x in December, my Touch is USELESS to me because the battery runs down in just 24 hours with the SAME SETTINGS as before! The WiFi signal fluctuates madly and I have no doubt that is what is causing the battery to drain at an absurb rate!

If the problem is the Gmail accounts, I'll bet that the jerks at CrApple did it on purpose because of their hatred for Google ... don't put it past them!

I have been a iPod user since they first came out, but let me tell you, when the new 7" Android 4.0 mini Tablets come out (8 hour continuous use battery life, 2 week sleep reserve), I will be the first in line to buy one and I will toss this Touch in the garbage! It is useless to me! CrApple you have lost a long time owner for ever! I am P i $ $ e d Off!

BTW - I've tried many of these "home made fixes", NONE WORKED and my WiFi gear is pristine - I am a IT Engineer! This is ALL CrApple's fault!

I am no "troll", just fed up with Apple lack of "owner care".

Status
Not open for further replies.