iOS 4 Causing iPod Touch Battery Problems

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You shouldn't have to turn on Airplane mode or do ANYTHING differently than in previous iOS's. I have been an Apple supporter/user since day 1, and this seriously piss's me right off. I used to have my iPod touch on standby for days, even weeks and it never, not once drained the battery. Now I plug it in before bed and unplug it in the morning. When I come home from work it is dead. If I use it for say 10 minutes, turn it off, and start it up again in an hour it is dead. My 3 year old iPod Classic 80GB's battery is still going strong. Now it is very likely that my 8 month old iPod Touch's battery will crap out soon, as this problem is not good for the battery. Not impressed...

G

my iTouch 2G battery life is down to almost nothing after getting iOS4. often when i try to turn it on, it is dead. it used to last for days or weeks before iOS4. Apple: we need a fix very soon.

G

I think I may have solved the problem, at least for my 2 iPod Touches. One was jailbroken, one was not. Here is what I did to get my battery life back to normal. First off, when updating, RESTORE your iPod first. Chances are, it will restore your iPod to iOS 4 and upgrading is not necessary. Apple pulled a fast one and made iOS 4 default now, so going back to 3.2/3.1.x is impossible. Anyway, when you have a fresh clean iPod, DO NOT RESTORE YOUR BACKUP. This may suck, but manually add what you had installed before. Even after a restore to factory default, I found that if you do not, the battery life will again be dismal. Hell, name your iPod different this time around just to be sure. This may well be just a simple case of the iOS not installing properly; remember the iPad issues some experienced? I guess as will all technology, when in doubt, start clean!

G

I was able to get battery life back by resetting network settings. As I add more WiFi networks to automatically connect to the battery life seems to be dropping again, but resetting network settings did give me my battery life back. Just hope there'll be an update soon that fixes this.

G

I have gained a lot of extra battery life by disabling "push" in settings/Mail,Contacts,Calendars/Fetch New Data.
I have turned off push and set to hourly.
It now seems to keep the battery level as when I switched off!

G

I like to go to sleep listening to an online radio station, with my iPod touch 2G set to sleep (via the Clock app) after 30 minutes. This was fine under OS3, which then turned off WiFi. Of course under OS4 the WiFi stays on and discharges the battery.

Maybe someone will develop an app that turns off WiFi after a preset time.

G

i have a very poor sound with this update with headphones,has everybody notice?

G

The sounds quality does get worst after upgrading to OS4, but that doesn't really bother me much. The battery life deduction due to persistent wifi during sleep mode pretty much kills the usability of the device. That is even when all the push functions are off. Apple can easily put a button to toggle the persistent wifi feature on and off. By not doing that it pretty much kill all the 2G ipod touch, which doesn't gain much from OS4 anyway.

By allowing upgrade to OS4 for free, but not providing an option to turn the persistent wifi feature off or downgrade it back to 3.1.3 is pretty much damaging a perfectly fine device and force you to upgrade it when 4G ipod touch comes out. This is pretty sneaky, but I must say is a pretty ingenious strategy.

Also I experiment on the battery life drop as shown in the indicator. When it is in sleep mode with wifi on, the battery life drop is not linear. Which means it stay high for a long time for the first few hours (8-9 hours out of 12 hours), which give the impression that it can last for a long time, and then suddenly it drops very fast in just least few hours. It does not happen before in 3.1.3. I hope they are not learning it from the iphone 4 reception indicator trick that the customers can be fooled by an exaggerated reception/power indicator.

per_k

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]I was able to get battery life back by resetting network settings. As I add more WiFi networks to automatically connect to the battery life seems to be dropping again, but resetting network settings did give me my battery life back. Just hope there'll be an update soon that fixes this.[/citation]

Yes! That worked for me too. Thx for the tip.

G

If the battery is draining quicker with the updated software tha with the previous one, completely restore your ipod and wait for at least 30 minutes before you reinstall what you backed up.

I hope this helps because I had the same problem, sent it off to Apple for repair but when I recieved it back less than a week later, I put my back up files on and the problem seems to have stopped, but still my fingers are crossed that it doesn't happen again.

All the very best in your attempts to get it back to as it was.
Ian, Wrexham, North Wales

G

im just happy that im not the only one with this problem. is the best solution to just turn off the wifi and get rid of folders?

G

how long should a new ipod touch last - e.g.when watching a movie?
Hopefully more than 1.5 hours, which is all I am getting

rfurr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I received my new iPod Touch 4G on Sep 10. After fully charging it I used it for a day or two and went to bed with about 50% charge. The next morning I woke to find it completely discharged... so low that it would not even turn on.

I've owned an iPod Touch Gen 2 since Nov 21, 2008 and have never had this type of "overnight discharge" problem. Not to confuse things but my iTouch Gen2 is running OS4.0 with mail push on and is not experiencing any problems. I haven't used this device for three weeks now and it just turned on full near full battery life.

It seems either OS4.1 is either failing to go to sleep or it's leaving WiFi on in sleep mode and draining the battery.

From and earlier suggestion I reset the network settings. This actually seemed to work (for about two weeks) till I woke up this morning to find my battery drained again. And the device had 90% battery last night when I put it in sleep mode.

Per another suggestion, I just turned push off in the settings/Mail,Contacts,Calendars/Fetch New Data. I'll see if that makes a difference but it doesn't make sense why my iTouch-G4 worked fine for two weeks with push on and then overnight drained itself....

I hope Apple finds a fix for this because its a big problem....

G

I have WiFi Off, and dropped screen brightness, etc., etc., and still the battery on my two-day-old iTouch didn't last 6 hours... After reading these and other comments, I'm thinking about simply returning it...

ebaralt

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
You guys may think I'm crazy, but I'm have the same issue and I actually have a 1st generation. Of course it's not the OS4 in my situation, since I can't..., but, even so, recently this started happening to my battery too. What a pain. I thought, it's either that it just got old, or, I installed a battery 'booster' app (don't remember which one - but everybody raves about these apps) and that seemed to be the start of my battery problems. I have since then removed the app. The thing is that I really don't think my battery is REALLY dead - but the sensor thinks it is. Once, after the battery problems had been around for a while, my device went into the red, and I plugged it in to the USB for a split second and the battery indicator went right up to almost full and it took a few hours to get back to empty, but since then, again, it takes a bit more than just 20 minutes for the battery to go from full to empty - just reading a book - no internetting. It used to be 5 or 6 hours. If anyone has any insight. I would appreciate it.

ebaralt

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
Me again. Updating... Maybe there's a setting in the OS, even on G1, that somehow in my case got changed, either when I installed that battery app or at some other time, because after reading this thread, I turned OFF my wireless. Since then my battery life is as it used to be. One and a half hours of use and still nearly 90%! Admittedly, my battery was being chewed up while I was using the device rather in sleep mode (there I haven't had a problem.)

G

I upt have to upgraded my 3rd generation Touch to OS4 when it came out and didn't have any real problem untill a few days ago. It was in sleep mode when I took it out of my pocket and I noticed that it was warm. The way it get when running a heavy task. Battery was nearly dead. Now it won't hold a charge overnight in sleep mode. If I do a full power down the back cools right down and it will hold a charge. I'm baffled as to why it worked fine under OS4 for a couple of months and then have this bug appear. I added a couple of common apps (stick biker, city something) then deleated them when the problem showed up. But the problem persists. My sons 3G touch isn't showing the issue yet. There is something else going on here that I'm not seeing. I think it might be time to try a restore and then add back apps one a t a time.

G

The battery drain occurs in iOS 4 whenever a wireless network is present. Under iOS 4, the iPod no longer disconnects from the WLAN when it goes to sleep, and the constant network activity is draining the battery. One solution to preserve the battery charge is to switch WLAN off in the settings app.

G

This is bullshit! I don't like it. Apple needs to explain what's going on here like asap or we need to begin alerting everyone by any means available about the game and marketing schemes that this company is using to encourage customers to bite on their new products. I'm pissed! I paid 300 bucks for my 2nd gene iPod and i'm not buying the 3rd gen. I've had this for only about a year and the product is showing signs of a defective battery now almost at the same time that a new version of the product comes to the market. This needs to be investigated and I don't think that we as customers should continue to blindly give this company money and not require products to be efficient and durable

G

mine is 3th gen, yesterday evening i charged it for a few hours so battery was completely full. this morning after i wake up to see my ipod with an empty battery. Its not everyday but this aint the first time either. This time i even completely switched it off and on once before going to sleep. result: empty battery after 6 hours of not even using. damn frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.