iPad Shortage Due to LCD; Next iPad Packs OLED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
OLED screens are great. I have been waiting for the mainstream use of them in larger format displays (not just small devices). I know they've come a long way in the blue material that was really lagging behind in the brightness half-life. Still great to see them just starting to get into the mainstream (Droid Incredible and Nexus as well!)

Universal Display Corporation has made some great strides in the flexible OLED tech as well that looks really promising. I know the govt is also giving them research money for their developments. They have some really cool videos on youtube that showcase their R&D tech.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]coopchennick[/nom]Just tack on that extra $450 to the price. Apple buyers will trust that it's for a good reason.[/citation]

ya but the apple tax on the 500 dollar new OLED would be another 200 bucks bringing the ipad into 13inch macbook range...or you know a similar windows laptop thats 200 bucks less then a macbook

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
OLED is still way too expensive. If Apple is going OLED anything it will be on the 4th generation iPhone and I hope it's a super AMOLED. $500 for a 9.7" display is waaaaay too pricey.

nukemaster

Distinguished
I had a old creative mp3 player (Zen microphoto) with OLED and it looked great. The picture was nothing to write home about(small screen), but the viewing angles where simply the best I have ever seen.

IPS LCD should be more then enough for iPad anyway(viewing angle wise). Guess they will have to ramp the production. OLED will take some time to be in the right price range.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
OLED has been used on some smart phones for quite some time now, but apple will probably claim it as their innovation

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
The good thing about OLED is that it's borderless. Instead of trying to make a single 1024 X 768 screen, they could just piece together multiple screens. Mitsubishi did it and made a 155 inch screen (http://gizmodo.com/5377145/mitsubishis-modular-155+inch-oled-screen). That would be way more cost effective!

Status
Not open for further replies.